This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7549 / 51°45'17"N
Longitude: -1.2495 / 1°14'58"W
OS Eastings: 451901
OS Northings: 206508
OS Grid: SP519065
Mapcode National: GBR 8YY.WFS
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.9591
Entry Name: 2, Holywell Street
Listing Date: 12 January 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1186750
English Heritage Legacy ID: 245546
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1
Electoral Ward/Division: Holywell
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Mary the Virgin with St Cross with St Peter-in-the-East,
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 5106 NE 6/223 12.1.54.
House. RCHM 219. Originally early C17, Partly re-modelled in C18. 3-storeyed
timber-framing on an ashlar base with cellars, the windows of which are above
the street level. These are modern brick stacks and a Welsh slate roof.
On the south elevation is an overhang at the 1st and 2nd floors. On the ground
floor are 2 projecting and splayed stone bay windows with modern stone 4-light
moulded mullioned frames with sashes. The front door is in a plain moulded
stone frame and there are 5 stone steps up to it. Over the doorway, the overhang
of the 1st floor (which is roughcast) is supported on 2 modern wooden scrolled
brackets, on the face of each of which is a shield, that on the west bearing
3 chevrons (? for Merton College), that on the east being blank; there are
similar but ancient brackets (with blank shields) at the east and west ends
of the house at this level. The 2 windows of the 1st floor each project
on 3 wooden scrolled and enriched consoles on which are blank wooden shields;
each window has 2 C18 sashes to the front and 1 small sash on each return.
The 2nd floor has 5 sash windows (the 2 outside having double sashes) and
the whole of this floor is boxed-out and roughcast and is a C18 (? late
C17) addition or remodelling. To the west is a single-storeyed stuccoed
block on cellars with an attic dormer in a modern red tile roof; in the ground
floor is a 3-light stone-framed sash window, the whole being in a shallow
recess with a segmental head. Interior. RCHM p 182a. Includes a C18 fireplace
and some C18 panelling. For a drawing the exterior made in 1822 by J
C Buckler, see Bodl M S Don a. 3 II, 31.
All the listed buildings on the North Side form a group.
Listing NGR: SP5190106508
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings