This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2184 / 52°13'6"N
Longitude: 0.6518 / 0°39'6"E
OS Eastings: 581248
OS Northings: 261115
OS Grid: TL812611
Mapcode National: GBR QF3.X72
Mapcode Global: VHJGV.7HYQ
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 14 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1187001
English Heritage Legacy ID: 363176
Location: Ickworth, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP29
District: St. Edmundsbury
Civil Parish: Ickworth
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Horringer St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TL R6 SW ICKWORTH ICKWORTH PARK
2/101 Church of St Mary
Church, mediaeval with major C19 alterations. Nave, chancel, west tower, south
aisle, north porch. Flint rubble walling, refaced in knapped flints C19:
limestone dressings and parapet gables; tower of stuccoed brick. Slated roofs.
Chancel mid C13; east triple-lancet window under linked hood-moulds, inner
shafts with stiff-leaf capitals, oculus above; 2 lancet windows and squint in
north wall. 3-light window inserted in north nave wall c.1300 with cusped
intersecting tracery; rear arch has attached shafts and hood-mould; an integral
piscina with leaf-carved pediment and cusped heads, double drain, moulded
bearer stone from shaft to back wall formerly holding the credence shelf;
dropped window cill seat. This is probably the site of the side chapel to St.
Mary. Simple C13 or C14 north nave doorway. In the chancel a restored C15
south nave window with adjacent cinqfoiled piscina. 3-stage west tower 1833;
porch with west doorway at ground level; triple-lancet bell-chamber openings;
crenellated parapets and crocketted corner pinnacles. South aisle 1833, as
private seating for the Harvey family, with 2 arches and balcony into nave.
West balcony with door into ringing chamber 1833. Continuous roof over nave
and chancel rebuilt 1911; scissor-braced trusses with alternately A, moulded
tie-beam and cusped collar-braces; and B, plain arched collar-braces springing
from short hammer beams; 2 tiers of wind-braced purlins and crenellated
cornice. North porch added c.1911, open, timber-framed with gabled cedar-
shingled roof. Plain C15 octagonal limestone font. C17 octagonal pulpit,
converted c.1775 into 3-decker with balustrading and original graining. Altar
rails c.1775, with turned balusters. 20 C17 and C18 marble wall and floor
slabs in chancel many with carved achievement; to members of the Hervey family.
14 C17 and C18 wall tablets in nave, to members of the Hervey family and
others. A C15 red-line wall painting of the angel of Annunciation, on east
wall of chancel. Roundels of Flemish painted glass in several windows; of
several dates from early C14 to C19.
Listing NGR: TL8124861115
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings