This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1721 / 52°10'19"N
Longitude: 0.6378 / 0°38'16"E
OS Eastings: 580478
OS Northings: 255932
OS Grid: TL804559
Mapcode National: GBR QFP.S2N
Mapcode Global: VHJH1.0NKQ
Plus Code: 9F425JCQ+V4
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 14 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1187006
English Heritage Legacy ID: 363185
Location: Rede, West Suffolk, Suffolk, IP29
District: West Suffolk
Civil Parish: Rede
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Rede All Saints
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TL 85 NW REDE
5/110 Church of All Saints
Church, mediaeval ; chancel 1874. Nave, chancel, west tower and south porch.
Flint and septaria rubble (rebuilding work 1874-77 in round flints), freestone
dressings and parapet gables. Nave roof slated, chancel roof plaintiled, porch
plaintiled with crenellated parapets. Lower section of nave walling C12 or
earlier ('Norman' north window a C19 reconstruction); altered c.1300, including
north doorway with sub-mediaeval oak door, south doorway, and doorway into
tower with original battened oak door. Tower c.1300, with 1-light moulded and
cusped or 2-light Y-traceried openings; top stage raised c.1875, with parapets
and tall crocketed corner pinnacles. Mediaeval nave coupled rafter roof with
soulaces or scissor-bracing, plastered soffit; a C15 tie-beam with folded leaf
carved arch-braces may be an insertion. Sanctus bell opening into nave from
east tower wall. C15 porch, heavily restored 1877, with pilastered arched
opening, a figure of Christ in a canopied niche above; pinnacled corner
buttresses; inscription carved in limestone band beneath parapet coping; 2-
light traceried square side windows. Chancel rebuilt 1874, in a mixture of
Decorated and Perpendicular Gothic style; chancel arch with attached shafts on
corbels; reredos and east window in limestone with marble shafts; coupled-
rafter roof with scissor-bracing, cornice on corbels, purlins and central
runner. Plain octagonal C15 font. Octagonal mid C17 pulpit. Simple C16
poppyhead benches in nave, most restored C19. All other furnishings C19.
Stained glass in east window 1874 by Clayton and Bell.
Listing NGR: TL8047855932
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings