This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1231 / 51°7'23"N
Longitude: -0.2028 / 0°12'10"W
OS Eastings: 525869
OS Northings: 137519
OS Grid: TQ258375
Mapcode National: GBR JKC.HK5
Mapcode Global: VHGSW.F1NB
Plus Code: 9C3X4QFW+7V
Entry Name: Ewhurst Place
Listing Date: 21 June 1948
Last Amended: 23 February 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1187092
English Heritage Legacy ID: 363362
Location: Ifield, Crawley, West Sussex, RH11
County: West Sussex
Electoral Ward/Division: Ifield
Built-Up Area: Crawley
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Ifield St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
(formerly listed under
TQ 23 NE 3/41 21.6.48
Probably late C16 or early Cl7. Occupying an ancient moated site. An L-shaped timber-
framed house of 2 storeys and attics, occupying the north-west angle of a rectangular
moated enclosure. The main range, lying east and west, has brick foundations to west
and north walls built beside the moat. Unbroken high-pitched roof with short hips at
east and west ends. West wall has exposed timber-framing and tile-hanging in gable;
south side has ground floor faced with C18 brick and first floor exposed timber-
framing. The north wall has 3 wide chimneybreasts projecting from the wall face, late
C16 or early C17, the stacks rebuilt but to the old design and using the old bricks;
One is the remains of a tower, timber-framing of walling exposed between chimneybreasts
also on east wall. Some of the timbers are of S form. The plaster filling is modern.
A 2-storey wing, apparently contemporary, projects southward from the south side of
the main range at the east end, its lower storey faced with C18 brick and the upper
storey hung with pointed tiles. Roof of same pitch as the main range with a short hip
at the south end, Horsham slabs to all roofs. Windows mostly modern casements with
leaded panes, but some older casements. On the first floor internally are 2 small
blocked windows with wood mullions, hollow chamfers, high up under the eaves, one on
the west side of the wing, the other at the east end of the main range. Two mullioned
windows behind panelling on ground floor. A good deal of the timber-framing is
exposed in the interior. Ground floor room at the west end has some fine early C17
panelling with double moulded and mitred panels, a smaller panel set within a larger
one. This was discovered under wallpaper. Fireback in chimney with date 1632 and the
initials EIE. At the time it was built Ewhurst belonged to the Covert Family.
(See S A C XLVII pages 144-7).
Listing NGR: TQ2586937519
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings