This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.6013 / 53°36'4"N
Longitude: -2.2056 / 2°12'20"W
OS Eastings: 386492
OS Northings: 411653
OS Grid: SD864116
Mapcode National: GBR FV1S.9S
Mapcode Global: WHB8X.2RZ2
Entry Name: Crimble Mill: spinning mill, attached engine house and fire-proof warehouse, and attached warehouse
Listing Date: 15 December 1967
Last Amended: 2 August 2019
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1187124
English Heritage Legacy ID: 358842
Location: Rochdale, OL11
Electoral Ward/Division: North Heywood
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Bamford St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SD81SE CRIMBLE LANE
335-0/6/10024 Crimble Mill
Cotton mill. c1829. For Charles Stott. Brick, stone dressings stone and slate roofs. Main range composed of 4 linked I buildings which stand on the narrow strip of ground between the River Roche and the large reservoir (now filled in). Also included: the office of c1860 which stands on the river bank. EXTERIOR: largest, most prominent block is the 5-storey, 17-bay spinning mill of c1829, modified and enlarged 1860s and 1886 (datestone over round-arched entrance with chamfered voussoirs) .Red/brown brick on stone foundations, stone sills
and lintels. Basement storey housed two water wheels with iron buckets: sluice gates and reservoir dam wall survive on E side. Attic storey lit by roof lights and round-arched gable windows. Water tower added at N end.
At S end the c1850 extensions comprise: external beam-engine house with tall round-arched window; set back to right the attached 4-storey, 4-bay ancillary building. Stone jambs, sills, lintels to loading/ taking-in doors left. To rear the tapering cylindrical chimney stack. At N end an attached 4-storey, 5-bay warehouse with segmental-arched windows, central loading door on 1st floor. Brick, slate roof.
INTERIOR: brick-vaulted fire-proof construction.
Office block approximately 15m west of main range, next to bridge over River Roch. Single storey, 2 bays. Rendered, slate roof. Round-arched gable end doorway has voussoirs and jambs similar to main range; corner pilasters. Ridge stack.
HISTORY: the site was owned by the Kenyon family in 1761 who had a water-powered fulling mill. In the late 1820s Charles Stott built the present mill for cotton spinning and in the 1850s it was converted to steam power. In 1859 the Kenyons bought the mill back and following the cotton famine he converted the buildings into an integrated woollen plant.
In 1924 a detached engine and boiler house were built; during the mid C20 extensive additions for cloth finishing were added. In 1970 the Kenyons left and the premises were taken . over by Roeacre Dyeing and Spinning; it is now a bleach works. The site is characterised by the continuity of occupation and longevity of the Kenyon firm. The rare survival of the water wheel housing emphasises the continuity of water power on this site into the mid C19.
Listing NGR: SD8648911658
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings