This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8442 / 50°50'39"N
Longitude: -0.1757 / 0°10'32"W
OS Eastings: 528530
OS Northings: 106549
OS Grid: TQ285065
Mapcode National: GBR JNP.Y3T
Mapcode Global: FRA B6JV.TLY
Entry Name: Boiler and Engine House at Goldstone Pumping Station
Listing Date: 7 June 1971
Last Amended: 2 November 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1187600
English Heritage Legacy ID: 365677
Location: Brighton and Hove, BN3
County: The City of Brighton and Hove
Electoral Ward/Division: Stanford
Built-Up Area: Brighton and Hove
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: West Blatchington St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ2806NE WOODLAND DRIVE, West Blatchington
579-1/8/180 (East side)
07/06/71 Boiler and Engine House at Goldstone
(Formerly Listed as:
The Goldstone Pumping Station)
Boiler house and engine house of Goldstone Pumping station,
now museum known as the British Engineerium.
1866 for the Brighton Hove and Preston Constant Service Water
Supply Company, engineers Easton and Amos, enlarged with west
engine house in 1876 for the Brighton Water Corporation,
engineers Eastons and Anderson, ceased to be fully operational
in the late 1940s, restored 1974-6.
Polychrome brickwork, yellow, red and blue-purple, with some
moulded brick, slate roofs with skylights, coped verges.
Plan: 2-storey beam engine houses flanking single storey
boilerhouse, No.1 beam engine to east dismanted and now
museum, No 2 beam engine (west) fully operational, fuel
economiser room on north front, underground tunnel linking
former coal shed (qv) to west, remains of underground railway
South front: gable-fronted 2-storey, 3-bay engine houses,
pediment to gable end, bracketed cornice, all cast-iron
windows, linked entablature to round-headed window openings,
continuous decorative string linking whole range, rusticated
ground floors with central round-headed doorways, fanlights
and panelled double doors flanked by round-headed windows, all
with linked entablatures; central single-storey range of 3
bays, similar windows flanking central bay which projects
forward with strongly moulded cornice, segmental-headed
opening, fanlight, panelled double doors with ornamental metal
4-bay return right, renewed cast-iron railings returned from
entrance north around west front.
Operational Eastons and Anderson beam engine dated 1872, 4
boilers by Yates and Thom, Blackburn, dated 1934, E. Green and
Son fuel economiser.
Listing NGR: TQ2853006549
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings