This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.884 / 52°53'2"N
Longitude: -0.6897 / 0°41'22"W
OS Eastings: 488268
OS Northings: 332644
OS Grid: SK882326
Mapcode National: GBR DQG.0H9
Mapcode Global: WHGKN.CRTX
Plus Code: 9C4XV8M6+J4
Entry Name: Church of Saint Mary and Saint Peter
Listing Date: 20 September 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1187962
English Heritage Legacy ID: 382954
Location: Harlaxton, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG32
District: South Kesteven
Civil Parish: Harlaxton
Built-Up Area: Harlaxton
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Harlaxton St Mary and St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
SK8832 CHURCH STREET
1315-0/14/148 (West side (off))
20/09/66 Church of St Mary and St Peter
Parish church. Nave north arcade late C12, south arcade and
south aisle early C13, tower early C14, chancel south arcade
and south chapels c1325-1350, tower bell stage, spire and
clerestorey late C14, east end c1400, north chapel and north
aisle early C15. South porch rebuilt 1858, in the course of
extensive restoration. Further heavy restoration 1890, by John
Oldrid Scott. Chancel with side chapels, nave with clerestorey
and aisles, south porch, west tower with spire.
Coursed squared ironstone and limestone ashlar, with ashlar
dressings and lead roofs. Perpendicular style. Moulded plinth,
sill band and buttresses throughout. Windows have hood moulds
or label moulds.
Chancel and side chapels have string course, crenellations
with pinnacles, and coped east gable. East end has a central
segmental pointed 5-light window with transom, flanked to
north by a pointed arched 4-light window with intersecting
tracery and to south by a smaller 3-light window. South side
has 2 wide Tudor arched windows, the east with 2 groups of 3
lights, the west with 5 lights, Under the west window, a
4-centred arched door.
North side has a central flat headed window flanked by pointed
arched windows, all 3 lights.
Clerestorey has coped parapet and east gable with cross On
each side, 4 segmental pointed 2-light windows with panel
South aisle, 5 bays, has flat headed windows, three with 3
lights, one to west with 2 lights.
North aisle has string course and crenellations, and three
3-light flat headed windows. Between the western pair, a
pointed arched doorway with hood mould and finial. West end
has a similar window.
South porch has coped parapet and gable with cross. Pointed
arched doorway with hood mould and shafts. On each side, a
traceried flat headed 2-light window. Moulded inner doorway
with shafts, and low pitched roof.
Square west tower, 4 stages, has clasping buttresses to the
lower stages and angle buttresses above. Crenellated parapet
with corner pinnacles. Set back octagonal crocketed spire with
a single tier of lucarnes and finial. Lowest stage has to west
a Decorated 2-light window without hood mould. Above, a single
lancet on each side, and above again, a 2-light window with
tracery on each side. Bell stage has a 2-light opening with
panel tracery and transom on each side.
Interior, rendered, has mid C19 low pitched arch braced roof
with angel corbels to nave and chancel. Similar lean-to roofs
to aisles and chapels.
Chancel has double chamfered arch with chamfered responds and
crenellated caps. Late C19 Perpendicular screen. The east
window, c1870, is flanked by canopied niches with C19 figures.
South side has a 2 bay arcade with double chamfered arches and
demi-shafts to the centre pier, and C19 traceried screens.
North side has a similar arcade with a quatrefoil central
pier. South chapel east window, c1916, is flanked by canopied
niches. Below, to left, a blocked 4-centred arched door. South
side has a piscina and aumbry with crest, then a restored
crocketed tomb recess and beyond, a stoup and a doorway.
Stained glass west window c1892.
North chapel east window has a canopied niche to left and a
bracket to right. On the south east side, a piscina.
Nave north arcade, 4 bays, has a section of wall between the
west bays. Chamfered arches and round piers, with ribbed leaf
capital to the east pier. South arcade has double chamfered
arches with hood mould and mask stops, and octagonal piers.
Double chamfered tower arch with octagonal responds and C20
South aisle has at the east end a Tudor arched doorway to the
rood loft, with another doorway above, and a square double
aumbry. Stained glass east window c1860. At the west end, a
reduced opening with a pointed arched door into the west bay.
North aisle has a stained glass window, c1888, and a moulded
arch with round shafts at the east end.
Fittings include a recut octagonal font, c1400, and octagonal
ashlar pulpit, 1869. Chairs, stalls and other furnishings late
C19 and C20. Stained glass by Powell & Sons; chancel east
window by Ward & Hughes, south aisle window by Cox & Sons.
Memorials include a restored canopied niche in the north
chapel with 2 alabaster figures, early C15, and a similar
empty niche in the south chapel. 2 C18 tablets with crests and
aprons. Marble topped chest tomb, 1682, to Daniel de Ligne. 2
marble and slate tablets, and Royal arms in quatrefoil, early
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Harris J & Antram N:
Lincolnshire: London: 1964-1989: 361; Spiegl P: The Parish
Church of St Mary and St Peter, Harlaxton: Harlaxton: 1987-).
Listing NGR: SK8826832644
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings