History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chapel of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Husbands Bosworth, Leicestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.4538 / 52°27'13"N

Longitude: -1.0502 / 1°3'0"W

OS Eastings: 464643

OS Northings: 284407

OS Grid: SP646844

Mapcode National: GBR 9R6.59K

Mapcode Global: VHCTG.RL58

Entry Name: Chapel of St Mary

Listing Date: 18 March 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1187989

English Heritage Legacy ID: 191280

Location: Husbands Bosworth, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE17

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough

Civil Parish: Husbands Bosworth

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Husbands Bosworth All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Husbands Bosworth

Listing Text

East Side)

8/59 Chapel of St. Mary


Chapel. 1873 by A.J. Purdie, a pupil of Pugin. Early French Gothick style,
and strict Puginian principles. Rusticated limestone blockwork with ashlar
dressings and roof with fish scale tiles. Nave, chancel and Lady Chapel to
north. Main entrance to north west in porch with moulded arch which dies into
a straight chamfer. Statue niche below gable coping that terminates in
gablets. Lancet windows to nave. North chancel chapel with western rose
window and angle butresses, and paired trefoiled lights; This chapel
terminates in a canted apse. Chancel east window of five foiled lights with
transom contained beneath three larger lancets surmounted by a rose window.
Paired lancets to south and four foiled lancets lights to the west with rose
window above, at an upper level and smaller grouped lancets below. All the
tracery is of a spare clean design. Eastern bellcote with finial. Partially
detached vestry to south with gathered chimney. Inside the church represents
a complete expression of Puginian principles retaining all its original
detail. West gallery with copious chamfered woodwork. Steep timber trusses
to nave roof. Richly moulded chancel arch with cylindrical shafts and foliate
capitals capped by square abaci. Steep rib vaulted chancel roof with
quatrefoil lights of stained glass angels set into it. Two bay arcades to
north Lady Chapel. Rich decorative scheme throughtou. Encaustic tiles with
Turville emblems, ornate altar rails and reredos. Wall painting throughout by
romaine Walker in 1900. Gilded stencils on all walls, gilded capitals above
shafts painted in bands or chevrons of bright colours. The chancel walls are
crowded with the figures of Saints and Angels with golden halos and wings.
Stained glass by Hardman: Individual figures in each light, some as late as
the 1940's. Memorial to Francis Fortescue Turville, 1889, in the Lady
Chapel. A recumbent marble effigy.

Listing NGR: SP6464384407

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.