This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8052 / 52°48'18"N
Longitude: -1.0017 / 1°0'5"W
OS Eastings: 467397
OS Northings: 323540
OS Grid: SK673235
Mapcode National: GBR 9M0.5K4
Mapcode Global: WHFJR.LR7B
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 1 January 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1187998
English Heritage Legacy ID: 190083
Location: Broughton and Old Dalby, Melton, Leicestershire, LE14
Civil Parish: Broughton and Old Dalby
Built-Up Area: Old Dalby
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Old Dalby St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
BROUGHTON CHURCH LANE
& OLD DALBY (North side)
SK 6723 Old Dalby
22/168 Church of St John the
Church. 1835 by Thomas Winter, restored and altered 1894. Red sandstone
ashlar, C20 plain-tile roof. Chancel, organ chamber/vestry, nave, S aisle,
N porch and W tower. 3-bay chancel has 3-light E window with Perpendicular-
style tracery, 4-centred head and hood moulds, similar 2-light window to NW
and priest's door to SE with 4-centred head and chamfered stone surround.
Vestry/organ chamber to S has similar E door, 2-light window to S with
chamfered, stone mullion, arched lights, cut spandrels and double-chamfered
stone surround; battlemented parapet. 3-bay S aisle has similar windows.
Nave has 2-light windows to N and SW with Perpendicular-style tracery and 4-
centred heads. S door has double-chamfered stone surround and 4-centred
head. Porch has similar doorway, double-leaf doors, hood moulds and 1-light
windows E and W with arched lights, cut spandrels and chamfered stone
surround; battlemented parapet. 3-stage tower has 2-light window to bottom
stage W with Perpendicular tracery and 4-centred head, 2-light window above
with Y tracery and hood moulds, 2-light bell-chamber openings with similar
tracery; diagonal offset buttresses and battlemented parapet. Nave has two
small lancet windows one above the other to W end, either side of tower.
Diagonal offset buttresses to nave, aisles, chancel, vestry and porch and
offset buttresses between bays. Hollow-chamfered stone eaves to nave,
chancel and aisles. Perpendicular tracery is all of 1894 and replaces Y and
intersecting tracery. Interior: Nave and chancel have massive tie-beam
roof on curved feet with timber corbels, and 4-centred arch between queen
struts to collar. Nave has 3-bay N arcade with octagonal piers, stylized
leaf capitals and double-chamfered arches. Monuments: Inportant series of
monuments to Noel family removed from medieval, predecessor church and
installed behind altar. Chest tomb, alabaster, with recumbent effigies of
Sir Andrew Noel d.1562 flanked by his two wives. A long row of mourners to
chest tomb, inscription to top of chest and shields to E end. Small
alabaster chest tomb of lady and her two husbands of c.1580. Kneeling
children at W end. Alabaster wall monument with recumbent effigies of
Andrew Noel d.1603 and his wife on half-rolled-up mattress and chest tomb
with coats of arm, separated by small shell-headed niche. Effigies are
flanked by Ionic pillars on bulgy bases, round-headed arch behind effigies.
Pillars support frieze. Cartouche of arm above flanked by obelisk
finials. Slate wall monument to Rev. Stephen Greenaway d.1795 with Latin
Buildings of England, Leics 1984, p.341-2.
Listing NGR: SK6739723540
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings