History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade I Listed Building in Theddingworth, Leicestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.4655 / 52°27'55"N

Longitude: -1.0184 / 1°1'6"W

OS Eastings: 466780

OS Northings: 285739

OS Grid: SP667857

Mapcode National: GBR 9R2.F9Z

Mapcode Global: VHDQY.99F8

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 7 December 1966

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1188196

English Heritage Legacy ID: 191322

Location: Theddingworth, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE17

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough

Civil Parish: Theddingworth

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Theddingworth All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Husbands Bosworth

Listing Text

SP68 NE MAIN STREET (South Side)

5/101 Church of All Saints



Parish Church. Origins in C12, though externally much is of C15, and it was
restored in 1858 by Sir George Gilbert Scott. Coursed ironstone rubble with
limestone dressings. Leaded roofs though plain tiles to chancel. West tower
and spire, nave with two aisles and low clerestory, chancel and two flanking
chapels. C15 tower of 3 stages with pilaster buttresses at angles and paired
lights with transoms to bell chamber. Embattled parapet with large grotesque
gargoyles clutching the angles. Recessed spire with two tiers of lucarnes.
Buttressed south aisle with possibly C18 south porch with round headed arch
and coped gable: The inner door has a heavy ogee arch beneath an outer hood
mould and is probably C16. Windows are Perpendicular: Grouped round headed
lights set beneath square hood moulds. South chancel chapel and chancel are
C13 - C14, though the 3-light chancel east window is a Victorian restoration
in the Decorated style. Buttressed north aisle and chapel with Perpendicular
windows and Victorian half timbered porch: The inner door is victorian but
its hood mould appears to be medieval. Limestone parapet to both aisles. Low
and dark interior with tall double chamfered west tower arch of the late C13
set in a squared embrasure. Nave of 5 bays. The north arcade is late C12:
Cylindrical shafts have trumpet scalloped capitals, and one of stiff leaf,
with a wide splay up to the square abaci. The south arcade is slightly later,
early C13 with clustered cylindrical shafts and double chamfered arches, still
round headed. Outer hood moulds with corbel heads. The low clerestory has
paired lights. Victorian nave roof with cusped braces to tie beam and
traceried panels between posts above it. Late C13 chancel arch, steep and
double chamfered, and round headed arches to north and south chapels. Chancel
roof is vaulted in wood with ribs forming square panels, and painted, part of
a complete scheme of decoration carried out by Sir G.G. Scott: The walls are
treated in broad decorative bands with stencilled flowers in lower section,
then a deep frieze: Mock ashlaring and angels and quatrefoil medallions and
above these a row of arcading. Stencilled flowers also adorn the voussoirs of
the chapel arches and over the east window is a full scale painting of Christ
in Majesty. The tower space is also painted, the decorative scheme continues
through the richly tiled floors and the furnishings, including the tall wood
font canopy, the marbled pulpit, low marble chancel screen and the pews. The
north chancel chapel takes up part of the north arcade and contains C16 and
C17 tombs. The older of the two contains two recumbent effigies, probably
Elizabethan or Jacobean, propped on their elbows, with the male figure above
the female, both framed by an aedicule on a high predella, all of alabaster,
richly decorated with strapwork, etc. On the predella there are the figures
of children, 4 girls in low relief stiffly kneeling. No inscription but from
the coat of arms the tomb is probably for George Chambre and his wife, of
Hothorpe. A smaller tomb is mounted on the south wall in memory of George
Bathurst and his wife Elizabeth: She bore him 17 children who are all
depicted in low relief in the traditional manner beneath two busts in oval
niches of the parents. There is also a painted organ by Snetzler, 1754.
Stairs and doorway to roof loft visible. In the south chapel is a large
monument of 1772 to G. Davies. It is a large piece with angled broken
pediment surmounting an urn on a pedestal,
with a fulsome epitaph. Tomb in South aisle to the Reverend Slaughter Clark
and Rachel his wife, by Hayward, of 1772. Almost lifesize marble figures, he
stands while she reclines on an urn. Stained glass: In the north aisle and
north chapel, several windows of c1870-90 in a Renaissance style, the use of a
lot of yellow in the classical architectural settings to figures of saints.
The chancel east window of 1858 is in a medieval style as are the saints in
the clerestory windows, the west tower window and the south chapel which is of
1863. There is more Renaissance style glass in the south aisle dated 1886 and
1889. C12 font beneath Victorian cover, a simple round basin with a moulded

Listing NGR: SP6678085739

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.