This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3716 / 51°22'17"N
Longitude: -0.461 / 0°27'39"W
OS Eastings: 507221
OS Northings: 164736
OS Grid: TQ072647
Mapcode National: GBR 2B.8G4
Mapcode Global: VHFTX.YSNF
Plus Code: 9C3X9GCQ+JH
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 19 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1188363
English Heritage Legacy ID: 286648
Location: Elmbridge, Surrey, KT13
Electoral Ward/Division: Weybridge Riverside
Built-Up Area: Weybridge
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Weybridge
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ 06 SE
BOROUGH OF ELMBRIDGE
Church of St James
Church. 1848 with additional aisle to south of 1864 by J.L. Pearson. Coursed rubble stone with stone dressings, plain tiled roof with stone gable copings and crosses. Stone broach spire with iron weathervane. Decorated style, two stage, to west nave with aisles, two to south, north porch and chancel to east. Gargoyles to first stage of tower, clock faces to east and west sides. Decorated tracery to windows.
Interior: tiled floor with five bay nave arcades on round piers. Quatrefoil patterned clerestory windows above. Principal roof rafters on carved angel supports.
Fittings: polychrome marbles to chancel, over 20 types used, rich gold and red mosaics
to chancel walls. Double Piscina to south chancel wall with red marble base, similar
red marble seats to sedelia. Very rich high altar with marble reredos under crocketed
finials depicting scenes from the life of Christ. Marble dado screen across chancel arch. Carved wooden pulpit, octagonal stone Decorated font. South aisle chapel: wooden reredos on black and white stone floor to east altar.
Monuments: west tower wall (south). Brass to John Woulde. Died 1598. Standing figure with wives to either side in profile, crests above. Mary Gwyn. Died 1840. Grey ground, white stone rectangle with volute scrolls to sides, supporting a cornice band with crucifix, corn stalk and chalice to top.
Frederica, Duchess of York by F. Chantrey in 1823. Grey ground obelisk, stone stele with segmental pediment above, circlet of stars to obelisk shaft, kneeling female figure in profile below, crown at her feet. Inscription and all brackets below with decorative band. Hannah Hancock. Died 1805. Grey stone ground with pediment and acroteria. Semi-circular niche with flower carving over open, inscribed, book.
Tower wall (north): Lydia Maplesloft. Died 1765. Black and grey marble obelisk on plinth with inset white stone inscription in copper plate. White stone urn and cartouche above, all on brackets. Thomas Hapson. Died 1717. Grey stone ground on gadrooned apron with cherub's head entablature and broken segmental pediment above. Central cartouche. White stone inscription breaking forward to centre. George Mangles 1810. Grey ground, white stone inscribed plinth, chest tomb above. Fluted to ends, triangle with suns above.
C15 brasses- three skeletons 2 feet high with texts between, head missing on left hand figure. Brass to Humphrey Athick. Died 1642. Rectangle with coat of arms. Brass to Thomas Inwood. 1586. Five kneeling figures, wives to left, children accompanying them.
Listing NGR: TQ0722164736
Other nearby listed buildings