This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.298 / 51°17'52"N
Longitude: -0.4717 / 0°28'18"W
OS Eastings: 506650
OS Northings: 156539
OS Grid: TQ066565
Mapcode National: GBR 1N.5R9
Mapcode Global: VHFV9.SM0T
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 14 June 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1188424
English Heritage Legacy ID: 288691
Location: Ockham, Guildford, Surrey, GU23
Civil Parish: Ockham
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Ockham with Hatchford and Downside
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ O5NE OCKHAM C.P. OCKHAM PARK
2/110 Church of All Saints
Church. C12 with C13 chancel and North aisle, C14 south nave wall, C15 tower and
north aisle wall and early C18 chapel (1735) to north; restored and aisle extended
in 1875. Flint rubble, mortar rendered with sandstone and ashlar dressings, some
brick and tile on-edge in tower, brick chapel to north, all under plain tiled roofs.
Tower to west with aisled nave and chancel to east; chapel and porch to north.
Battlemented 3-stage tower with square stair turret to north east corner and diagonal
buttresses to west end. One square-headed, louvred window to each face of upper
stage with two cinquefoil lights. Similar windows below on each face of middle
stage. C15 style west door. Clock face over, under cambered tile head to first
stage of west end. Two C15, Decorated windows to north wall of 3 foiled lights under
hood moulds. South nave wall has two C14, 3 cinquefoil light windows with flowing,
double cusped,tracery and chamfered jambs. Chancel windows; to north one C13 window
with inserted tracery of 2 trefoil lights. South wall; re-cut C15, square-headed 3
cinquefoil light window with C14 window to east. East window is the most famous
feature of Ockham Church: C13, seven lancets, plain outside in graduated pattern,
the central window forming the apex. Transferred from unknown church - possibly
Newark Priory - and inserted into C16 surround. Round - headed keystoned fenestration
to Chapel, blocked on east and north sides,open to west. Gabled porch to north with
offset buttresses in re-entrant angle with chapel. C19 door under 2-light window.
Further door to south side of chancel, C13 with chamfered jambs.
Interior:- Two bay nave arcade with chalk arches on sandstone pillars, circular, with
moulded bases and capitals and semi-circular responds to ends. Waggon roof to nave
above tie beams with original bosses and diamond pattern panels dateable to c.1530.
North aisle and east bay of nave roof C15,with canted panels framed by moulded ribs
and bosses. C13 chancel arch on semi-circular responds with moulded bases and
capitals and two-centred arch of two chamfered orders.
Fittings: C13 double piscina to south chancel wall with stop chamfered jambs and 2
trefoil arches. Elaborate canopied niche, C14 to east end of north aisle. C19 font,
with remains of old C13 font in chancel. Circular Purbeck marble stem on square
stone base with moulded plinth and 4 detached shafts. East window - Purbeck marble
shafts in the faces of the mullions on moulded bases and with stiff leaf foliage
capitals of different designs. The arches above have several roll mouldings under
heavy label with band of dogtooth patterning, enclosed by C16 rear arch. Stained
glass - south side, chancel, C15 figures in tracery lights. C18 German painted
glass to south side of nave. East window designed by Sir T. G. Jackson and made by
Monuments:- King Chapel to north - round headed arch to aisle. Vaulted plaster
ceiling springing from angle pilasters. On north wall monument to Peter, First
Lord King and his wife by Rysbrack, 1734. White marble in Palladian style. Two
figures sitting either side of large urn in front of pyramidal ground. Symbols of
office surround Lord King. Brass to Walter Frilende. Died 1376,to north side of
Altar, the earliest priest's brass in Surrey. Brass to John Weston-died 1483.
Monument to Peter, seventh Lord King. Died 1833, by R. Westmacott Jnr. White
marble bust. Stone casket on monolithic pedestal with heraldic enamel plaques
marks the ashes of Lord and Lady Lovelace. Died 1906.
V.C.H. (1967) Vol III pp. 359-363.
PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) pp. 392-94.
R. GUNNIS: Dictionary of British Sculptors 1660-1851 pp. 333-338 (Rysbrack)
pp. 428-9 (R. Westmacott).
Listing NGR: TQ0664856538
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings