This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2462 / 51°14'46"N
Longitude: -0.0572 / 0°3'25"W
OS Eastings: 535698
OS Northings: 151465
OS Grid: TQ356514
Mapcode National: GBR KKB.Y2R
Mapcode Global: VHGS5.YYM0
Entry Name: St Mary's Alms Houses and Chapel of St Mary
Listing Date: 11 June 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1188470
English Heritage Legacy ID: 287733
Location: Godstone, Tandridge, Surrey, RH9
Civil Parish: Godstone
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Godstone and Blindley Heath
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 35SE GODSTONE C.P. CHURCH LANE
6/72 St Mary's Alms Houses
11.6.58 and Chapel of St Mary
Alms house row and chapel. 1872 by sir G.G. Scott in C17 vernacular
style. Timber framed with incised decoration in rendered infill,
plain tiled roofs with ridge cresting on chapel and large stack to left
end, left of centre, right of centre, and right end on alms house row.
8 alms houses with chapel projecting to left and wing projecting to right
end to form courtyard in front of building. One and two storeys, irregular
facades, built into hillside.
Chapel to left end: two storeys to front, one storey to rear with coved
eaves to roof and shingled lead fleche over east end. Gabled end to street
jettied on first floor with end brackets. Central angle bay to ground
floor with leaded casement windows. Planked door to centre of south side
(right) in gabled porch with date 1872 inscribed in gable.
Interior:Two bay timber framed nave with stone fireplace to west end.
Neo-Norman chancel to east with round chancel arch, mosiac inlay and
wrought iron screen.
Main Almshouse range to right: single storey to left with two gabled
mullion and transom leaded casements across. Planked door in gabled
timber framed porch. Large two storey gabled bay to right with first
floor jettied on brackets. Central leaded mullion and transom casement
window in angled bay on ground floor. Entrance porch set back to right
of gable with open Tudor arched recess porch, gabled floor above with
carving in archspandrels. Further one storey, two windowed, range
to right with central gabled porch and planked door. End wing pro-
jecting to right with gabled front to street and on left hand side.
Single storey rendered C20 extension on right end. The almshouses
form an important group in the lane and were designed to compliment
the church to their left.
Listing NGR: TQ3569951480
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings