This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.4224 / 52°25'20"N
Longitude: -2.5317 / 2°31'53"W
OS Eastings: 363941
OS Northings: 280617
OS Grid: SO639806
Mapcode National: GBR BT.NHFS
Mapcode Global: VH841.2CGW
Entry Name: Church of St Giles
Listing Date: 9 March 1970
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1188651
English Heritage Legacy ID: 254711
Location: Farlow, Shropshire, DY14
Civil Parish: Farlow
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Farlow
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
Church of St Giles
Parish church of 1857-1858 by Robert Griffiths, incorporating font and C12 doorway from a former church.
MATERIALS: local yellow Farlow sandstone in roughly square blocks, with tooled dressings. Tile roofs and cast-iron rainwater goods.
PLAN: Nave with lower and narrower chancel, south porch, west bellcote and vestry on the north side of the nave.
EXTERIOR: A parish church in simple C19 Gothic style, but retaining part of the Norman doorway of an older church. This has C19 nook shafts and block capitals, but C12 arch with chevrons to the extrados and intrados, and intersecting arcs to the label. The nave, which has angle buttresses, has 4 single-light cusped windows in south and north walls and 2-light west windows with Y-tracery. The porch has a pointed arch and trefoil side windows. The gabled bellcote incorporates 2 cusped bell openings. In the chancel are 2 plain lancets in south and north walls, and triple stepped east window.
INTERIOR: The nave has a 5-bay arched-brace roof on corbels. The double-chamfered chancel arch includes an inner order on corbelled shafts. The chancel has a 2-bay arched-brace roof on corbels. Walls are plastered. Where visible, the nave floor is red-and-black diaper tiles, with raised wooden floors below the pews, and in the chancel are red and cream tiles.
PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: The Norman tub font is plain. The polygonal stone pulpit, post 1897, has marble shafts to niches with figures including St. Giles. Pews have plain ends with moulded tops. Choir stalls are also simple, with open trefoils on arm rests. The wooden communion rail has cast-iron uprights with scrolled brackets. The east window shows Christ flanked by Moses and Elijah, by Swaine Bourne, 1887. The west window shows Christ with St John, by Powell's, 1873.
HISTORY: Built in 1857-8 by Robert Griffiths, architect of Quatford, replacing an old church on a different site. The arch over a Norman doorway and the font were brought from the old church.
Newman, J and Pevsner, N, the Buildings of England: Shropshire (2006), 268-69
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION:
The church of St Giles, Farlow, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* It is a complete small 1850's church which has undergone little subsequent alteration.
* It has medieval features of interest in the form of the Norman font and doorway arch.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.