This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2791 / 51°16'44"N
Longitude: -0.5408 / 0°32'27"W
OS Eastings: 501869
OS Northings: 154343
OS Grid: TQ018543
Mapcode National: GBR GDB.N33
Mapcode Global: VHFVG.K3YR
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 14 June 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1188756
English Heritage Legacy ID: 288758
Location: Send, Guildford, Surrey, GU23
Civil Parish: Send
Built-Up Area: West Clandon
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Send
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ 05SW SEND C.P. CHURCH LANE
4/177 Church of St. Mary
Church. Chancel c1240, nave rebuilt in late C14, C15 porch to south,and church
restored in 1847. Random flint and sandstone rubble, mortar rendered on nave, with
green sandstone dressings to east and west ends. Plain tiled roofs with Horsham
slab eaves courses on nave. Square tower to west with nave and chancel to east,
porch to south. Two stage, battlemented tower with offset buttresses to west end
and moulded string course over each stage. Two-light, 3-centred,arched head,openings
on each face of top stage of tower: C15 window to west on first stage of 3-cinquefoil
lights under 4-centre head with label moulding. Rectangular two-light nave windows
under label mouldings with cusped-head lights. Two C13 lancets to north wall of
chancel; the window to the east with chamfered and re-bated jambs. Two similar
lancets to the south wall.' East window 1819 - inserted into older jambs. These
cinquefoil lights and tracery of semi-gothic character in a two-centred arched head.
Gabled timber framed porch to south with original moulded wall plates and 5 braced
open lights to each side over brick underbuild. Studded door in simple chamfered
surround with 4-centre, arched head.
Interior: Simple, aisless plan. Old tie beams to Nave roof over embattled wall
plates. The beams to west end of chancel on curved braces in place of original
Fittings: C13 chancel screen rebuilt with traceried heads to all lights and moulded
cornice original. Early C17 wood gallery with turned baluster front to west,
extensively restored. Between first and second windows of south wall is C13 Priests
door with chamfered sandstone jambs. South wall of the chancel C13 piscina with
step-chamfer jambs and pointed head, bowl now broken off. C13 octagonal, lead-
lined font, now rebuilt, on centre stem and moulded plinth.
Monuments: Brass to Lawrence Slyfield on N. side of chancel, died 1521.
PEVSNER: Buildings of England: Surrey (1971) p.450.
V.C.H. Surrey (1967 Edition) Vol. III pp 368-70.
Listing NGR: TQ0186954343
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings