This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.435 / 51°26'6"N
Longitude: -0.4009 / 0°24'3"W
OS Eastings: 511250
OS Northings: 171880
OS Grid: TQ112718
Mapcode National: GBR 3W.CLC
Mapcode Global: VHFTS.06D8
Entry Name: Church of St George
Listing Date: 14 August 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1189077
English Heritage Legacy ID: 202467
Location: Hounslow, London, TW13
Electoral Ward/Division: Hanworth Park
Built-Up Area: Hounslow
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St George Hanworth
Church of England Diocese: London
787/37/416 CASTLE WAY
Church of St George
Parish Church. Medieval and largely rebuilt by James Wyatt in c.1812; enlarged and remodelled in 1865 by S.S. Teulon in Gothic Revival, Decorated style. Masonry walls of greensand ashlar and other materials, Bath stone masonry details and tracery, polychrome slate roof.
PLAN: nave, chancel, north chapel, north-east tower, north and south porches.
EXTERIOR: Apsidal chancel with three arched windows within moulded hoodmooulds with carved angel label stops; carved eaves with trefoils and foliate supports; buttresses with crocketed finials. East window of three lancet lights below cinquefoil circle, flanked by two-light windows with cinquefoils; on south side, an additional two-light window with trefoil or quatrefoil circles, and a blind lancet window.
North-east tower with broach spire with an adjoining transept. Five-stage tower
supporting a broach spire with lancets on each side and a cruciform metal terminal. Arched and slatted belfry openings on each side below cornice table. Vestry door on the north side. Above is a slate clock face within a gabled aedicule with angel brackets. Buttressed north-east corner with door. Diagonal buttress to north-west corner carried on a moulded bracket at first floor level; attached to this is a flying buttress linked to a stone pinnacle. Adjoining the tower on the west side is a single-cell chapel with a steeply pitched slate roof: three lancet windows with cinquefoil circles set within moulded hoodmoulds with foliate label stops.
Nave of four bays, divided by gabled buttresses, with moulded eaves brackets. North and south gabled porches: moulded arched openings enriched with doog-tooth ornament, carried on colonnettes with stiff-leaf capitals. Three windows to south side, two to north: each with similar tracery consisting of quatrefoils and trefoils over paired lancets.
West front of masonry rubble construction with diagonal buttresses. Arched window within moulded hoodmould with carved head label stops. Window tracery, Decorated, consists of a circle with eight trefoils above two pairs of lancets surmounted with lobed trefoil. Round window in gable head above with three interlocking circles.
INTERIOR: Hammerbeam roof with traceried enrichment above the collars, carried on angel-decorated corbels; diagonally set pitch pine ceiling to chancel and nave. Nave with complete set of pews. Fittings include the following. Stone reredos with serpentine marble and felspar enrichment. Organ by Hill, 1888. Carved oak screen to the north chapel incorporating parts of former 1914 chancel screen by Wood and Ainslie. Octagonal oak pulpit of 1890 with carved reliefs. Wall tablets in chancel to Sir Thomas Chamber d.1692 and Lady Catherine Burgess d.1803; floor slabs in chancel to Aubrey, 5th Duke of St Albans d.1802 and Admiral Sir James Wallace d.1803. Stained glass panels in north chapel include two late C15 angels; the arms of the Crosby family (late C15)and Killigrew family (1606). Other stained glass includes: south chancel window of 1866 depicting the Raising of Lazarus and of Jairus's daughter; memorial stained glass of 1881 in south windows of nave; west window of 1883 by Clayton and Bell showing scenes from the Life of Christ. Modern screen across west end (1993) with inserted panels including 1625 arms of James I.
History: first mentioned in 1293, the church was substantially rebuilt in c.1812 to Wyatt's designs re-using earlier materials. Teulon added the chancel, porches and tower, retaining the walls and remodelling everything else.
Andrea Cameron, 'St George's Church Hanworth' (1981 church guide), English Heritage historians' reports by Andrew Saint (1991) and Richard Lea (2000).
Listing NGR: TQ1125071880
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings