History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Hermitage

A Grade II Listed Building in Leatherhead, Surrey

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.2797 / 51°16'46"N

Longitude: -0.3729 / 0°22'22"W

OS Eastings: 513582

OS Northings: 154653

OS Grid: TQ135546

Mapcode National: GBR HFW.NK4

Mapcode Global: VHFVK.H379

Entry Name: The Hermitage

Listing Date: 7 September 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1189144

English Heritage Legacy ID: 290490

Location: Mole Valley, Surrey, KT23

County: Surrey

District: Mole Valley

Town: Mole Valley

Electoral Ward/Division: Bookham South

Built-Up Area: Leatherhead

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Great Bookham

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

TQ 1354 NE (south side)

7.9.51 No.193 (The Hermitage)


House. Probably late C17, with C19 additions and alterations. Hand-made brick
and some flint, mostly covered by roughcast painted white, plus some
weatherboarding at the rear; brick chimneys. Shallow U-plan formed by a 3-unit
single-depth main range with an extension at each end, and projecting wings
added to the front of both. Two storeys and 5 bays; plinth to the main range; a
2-storey flat-roofed porch in the re-entrant angle to the right with C19
hoodmoulds over both the doorway and a 12-pane sashed window above; to the
left, the ground floor has a 12-pane sashed window breaking the plinth in the
centre, with a similar hoodmould, and a canted bay window to the left of this;
the 1st floor has two 12-pane sashes. Each wing has a canted bay window at
ground floor and a 12-pane sash above. Ridge chimney and gable chimneys, all
with cornices. The rear has a ground-floor loggia supporting a weather-boarded
corridor added to the 1st floor; the ground floor has a plinth incorporating some
flint, a central doorway and two 12-pane sashes; the added upper floor has two
16-pane sashes; the 1st bay of the addition at the east end projects and has a
small segmental-headed window on each floor; the end bay has a dormer, and a
square weather-boarded outbuilding with pyramidal roof overlaps it. Interior:
altered, but the 3-bay roof of the main range has 4 sets of collar trusses, the
1st and 4th close to gable walls of modern brick, and coupled rafters with
scratched carpenter's marks; the joists are tenoned into a central purlin and
have carpenter's marks in Roman numerals. History: Fanny Burney is said to
have lived here c.1790-1800.

Listing NGR: TQ1357754648

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.