This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1836 / 51°11'1"N
Longitude: -0.4082 / 0°24'29"W
OS Eastings: 511353
OS Northings: 143916
OS Grid: TQ113439
Mapcode National: GBR GFN.RMG
Mapcode Global: VHFVX.WH2Z
Entry Name: End House, Hopdene House and Hopedene Court
Listing Date: 11 November 1966
Last Amended: 3 August 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1189459
English Heritage Legacy ID: 290026
Location: Abinger, Mole Valley, Surrey, RH5
District: Mole Valley
Civil Parish: Abinger
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Holmbury St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
In the entry for:
TQ 14 SW ABINGER C.P. PASTUREWOOD ROAD
Holmbury St Mary
6/56 End House, Hopedene House,
Hopedene Court, Dormers and
11/11/66 Hope End (formerly listed as
the address shall be amended to read "End House, Hopedene House and Hopedene Court
(formerly listed as Hopedene)".
ABINGER C.P. PASTUREWOOD ROAD
Holmbury St Mary
6/56 End House, Hopedene
House, Hopedene Court,
Dormers and Hope End
11/11/66 (Formerly listed as
House, now divided. 1873 by Richard Norman Shaw, for Hensleigh Wedgewood,
extended in 1878-9 and again in 1902 by Percy Ginham, who added the nursery
wing. Red brickwith tile hanging and some timbered frame above, plain tiled
roofs. L-shaped with wing projecting to left and forecourt between two ranges.
Two storeys with attics in gable and under pentice-roofed dormer to left of
centre. Tall ribbed and corbelled stacks with largest star-shaped stack to front
centre, further stacks to left and rear right. Two timber framed gables to
right, that to left with attic casement window. Tile hanging on first floor
cast out over ground floor, with angle bay oriel window to first floor right,
5-leaded lights across front, bow shaped oriel window on first floor of left
gable. Large half- hip end to centre with one 4-light attic casement window
either side of stack. 15-light (3 x 5) leaded first floor fixed window to right
of stack, one 5-light first floor window to left of stack. 3 first floor
windows to left. Two storey wing to left with ridge-cresting and timber framed
gable bay to end. Four first floor casements including angle bay oriel. Two
windows on ground floor wing angle bay window to left at junction with gable.
One mullioned and transomed window on first floor of gable, four light cambered
head window on ground floor in blocked former entrance outlined by stone
moulding. Porch to right under bow oriel with margin lights and leaded transome
lights on brick plinth walls. First entrance to left in half-hipped range with
pointed arched porch recess to ribbed door. Stone-dressed door on left hand
wing. Right hand return front. Dormer to right. Angle bay on corner under hip
roof. Rear: Double gable range to centre with 5-light attic dormer windows,
mullioned and transomed windows on first floor and 7-light ground floor window
to left of centre. Mostly tile hung.
A. Saint: Richard Norma Shaw (1977) p.412
PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) p.315.
Listing NGR: TQ1135343916
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings