This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.096 / 54°5'45"N
Longitude: -1.3277 / 1°19'39"W
OS Eastings: 444062
OS Northings: 466891
OS Grid: SE440668
Mapcode National: GBR MP52.BF
Mapcode Global: WHD98.K9YR
Entry Name: Myton Hall
Listing Date: 28 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1189504
English Heritage Legacy ID: 333389
Location: Myton-on-Swale, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, YO61
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Myton-on-Swale
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Myton-on-Swale St Mary
Church of England Diocese: York
SE 46 NW MYTON-ON-SWALE HALL LANE
4/45 (west side)
Country House. Dated 1693 on brass plaque above entrance, however this has been reset
and a date in the 1680s has been put forward. For Sir Brian Stapylton who held the
estate 1679-1730. Attributed to John Etty. Some alterations and additions late C18
and later. Brick with plinth, stuccoed. Stone doorcase, alternating block quoins
moulded 1st floor string. Graduated Lakeland slate hipped roof. Tall rendered ridge
stacks and 4 flat headed dormers. 2 storeys, L-shaped plan. 7 bays; central bay
breaks forward, has quoins and a grand doorcase with architrave and monogrammed
keystone consoles and a broken segmental pediment with achievement of arms. Late C18
infill has half glazed door with fluted pilasters, paterae head and radial fanlight.
The window above has an eared architrave with scroll feet. The other windows are in
shallow projections which give a vertical emphasis. Sash windows with glazing bars
throughout. Entrance into panelled staircase hall with bands of carved decoration.
Grand staircase has closed string with bayleaf garland, twisted balusters of separate
strands, curved handrail and stout square newels with carved pendants. Large acanthus
bracket to newel at foot of stair. Matching carved dado. Saloon has Palladian
decoration including cornice, doors, fireplace and overmantel. Ionic screen at one
end. The dining room has a C17 ceiling divided into panels with raised borders with
strapwork and cabochon ornament. Further good interiors to library, small drawing room
and upper floors. Towerlike addition with ogee dome probably c.1900.
Pevsner, N., Yorkshire, North Riding 1966 p262
Booth, J., Country House Architecture in Yorkshire c.1630-c.1690. M.Phil
Courtauld Institute 1972, p 79-80
Listing NGR: SE4406266891
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings