History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lilford Hall

A Grade I Listed Building in Lilford-cum-Wigsthorpe, Northamptonshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.4449 / 52°26'41"N

Longitude: -0.4871 / 0°29'13"W

OS Eastings: 502928

OS Northings: 284069

OS Grid: TL029840

Mapcode National: GBR FY8.PPH

Mapcode Global: VHFNP.HTW3

Entry Name: Lilford Hall

Listing Date: 23 May 1967

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1189554

English Heritage Legacy ID: 232814

Location: Lilford-cum-Wigsthorpe, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, PE8

County: Northamptonshire

District: East Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Lilford-cum-Wigsthorpe

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Thorpe Achurch St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


Lilford Hall


Country house. Datestones 1635 and 1656 for William Elmes, altered C18 by Henry
Flitcroft for Thomas Powys. Altered and extended mid C19 by W.G. Habershon of
St. Neots and late C19 and early C20 by W. Dunn and R. Watson and others for
Lord Lilford. Limestone ashlar with Collyweston slate roof. U-shape plan. 2
storeys with attic and part basement. Main Entrance Front to south west is
probably 1635, restored C19. 9 bays with central and flanking flush gables.
Central, single-storey, porch has arch-head doorway, with moulded keyblock,
flanked by Roman Doric columns. Balcony above has balustrade of arches with
central stalactites. Centre 7-window range of tall, 2-light, stone mullion
windows with 2 2 transoms. Large flanking 2-storey bow windows of 8 lights with
stone mullions and transoms. Balustrade to attic balconies, above boundaries,
are similar to porch balcony. Venetian style, tripartite stone mullion attic
windows, in flanking gables, have central arch-head lights. Similar, central,
attic window has square-head centre light. 3 Dutch style gables with convex and
concave parapets with intermediate finials and open ring apex finials. Gables
are linked by open balustrade with intermediate finials. Raised bands linking
ground and first floor window heads. Large central stack of 13 chimneys linked
by arches was added c.1711 incorporating base of original stack with central
roof access. Garden front to right of Main Entrance Front is of 7 bays. Flanking
bays have flush gables similar to Main Entrance Front and bays to left and right
of centre have intermediate gables. Mainly tall sash windows at ground floor,
with plain surrounds, that to far left is now blind. Arch head window with
flanking niches to first floor, far left. Venetian style windows to adjacent
bay, at first floor, bay to right of centre and bay to far right. Other first
fIoor windows are mainly 2-light stone mullion windows with transoms. Gables are
linked by open balustrade, similar to Main Entrance Front. Ashlar stacks at
ridge. First floor of 2 bays, to far right, is corbelled out and was added
together with gable above in early C20. Elevation to left of Main Entrance Front
is an irregular 10-window range of C17 and C19 stone mullion windows in similar
style: 2 are Venetian style. 3 central gables. 2 bays to far left were raised
early C20. Rear elevation to north-east has central 7 bays with projecting
wings. Central, part-glazed, door has plain ashlar surround with stepped
keyblock and cornice over. Flight of steps to door. 2-light stone mullion
windows, with transoms, to ground and first floor and similar 2-light basement
and later attic storey windows. Moulded stone cornice above first-floor windows
has central bracketed pediment. Plain band between ground and first floor.
Flanking wings have large lateral stacks immediately adjacent to centre range:
right stack has date 1635 and left-stack has date 1656, both probably restored
C19. Left hand wing has datestone 1858 and 1909, the latter refers to the
addition of the upper storey. Upper storey of right-hand wing probably of same
date. Both ends of wings have Dutch style gables similar to main entrance front
and 3-window range of 2-light stone mullion windows, some with transoms. Central
range has centre stack with 5 flues linked by arches. Interior: staircase
remodelled by H. Flitcroft early/mid C18 with some C19 alterations. Spine
corridor between entrance hall and staircase has plain arches with moulded
cornices. Staircase around large open-well has 2 turned balusters per tread and
scroll ends to treads. 2 Ionic columns support first floor landing with 2
Corinthian columns directly above. Walls are decorated with plaster panelling
and swags. First floor doorcases are probably C19 with circular plaster panels
above. Billiard room to far left of entrance has C17 panelling, probably reset
and parts restored C19. Fireplace with 4-centred arch head has flanking wooden
columns and overmantle with 3 pairs of columns and moulded cornice. Dining Room
to right of entrance has C18 fireplace with scroll brackets and swags. Late
C19/early C20 panelling incorporates hotplates and probably masks earlier
decoration. Library to right of garden front has C19 bookcases and fireplace in
C18 style. Music room to far right has early C20 panelling in C17 style. C17
archway to rear left of entrance gives access to domestic offices. C17 fireplace
with 4-centred arch head in room adjacent. C19 kitchen with ranges. First floor
rooms to centre and left of main entrance front: probably same date as staircase
with C19 alterations. Centre room has fireplace overmantle with pediment and
medallion. Dentilled cornice and circular ceiling panel. C19 medallion above
door to right. Room to left has some C18 plasterwork. Ballroom to right has
extensive plasterwork decoration and mirrored panels. Ceiling is probably C18 by
Flitcroft, walls and ceiling have C19 embellishments. First floor rooms to
garden front remodelled early C20. Fireplace in corridor is probably C17 origins
with armorial device above. First floor room in west wing has C17 fireplace and
room over kitchen has some C18 detailing. Remains of C17 long gallery, now
subdivided; to attic storey of Main Entrance Front. Access via centre stack
originally led to roof walk. William Elmes sold Lilford to Sir Thomas Powys in
1711 who was responsible for the internal remodelling. His great grandson was
created Baron Lilford. The fourth and fifth Barons were responsible for much mid
and late C19 and early C20 remodelling and extensions to the house.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.291; V.C.H.: Northamptonshire, Vol.3,
p.227; Colvin, H.M., A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects
(1660-1840), p.311; Country Life, January 27th, 1900, p.112-117;
Northamptonshire Records Office, Architectural Drawings collection; RCHM:
unpublished research).

Listing NGR: TL0292884069

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.