History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stables to North of Ribston Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Great Ribston with Walshford, North Yorkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.9795 / 53°58'46"N

Longitude: -1.4045 / 1°24'16"W

OS Eastings: 439153

OS Northings: 453884

OS Grid: SE391538

Mapcode National: GBR LQMF.Q6

Mapcode Global: WHD9T.D7FK

Entry Name: Stables to North of Ribston Hall

Listing Date: 15 March 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1189567

English Heritage Legacy ID: 330606

Location: Great Ribston with Walshford, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, LS22

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Great Ribston with Walshford

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

5/32 Stables to north of
Ribston Hall


Stables. Mid-late C18 with C19 restoration to interiors. Attributed to
John Carr for Sir Henry Goodricke. Red brick, English bond, with ashlar
dressings, Westmorland slate roof. Courtyard plan, with a free-standing
range on each side linked by a high wall. Entrance range, courtyard front:
2 storeys, 9 bays, central 3 bays breaking forward. Ashlar plinth. Central
round-arched passage to courtyard flanked by round-headed windows with
glazing bars above ventilator slits. The central window in the 3-bay blocks
is set in a round-arched recess. 6-pane sash windows to first floor. All
have brick sills. Projecting ashlar band at ground-floor impost level,
ashlar dentilled eaves and triangular pediment over central 3 bays
containing square stone plaque with coat of arms (a similar plaque on west
wall of chapel(q.v.)). Hipped roof. Central cupola, containing bell set on
square base with clock, has lead dome and weather vane. Single-storey
blocks at each end. Steps from courtyard to first-floor door in right
return. Interior: C19 stalls and loose boxes still in use. Hay lofts over.
A new clock was put into the clock tower in 1887. Courtyard, west range:
hay barn of 3 bays. Wide central double door with round arch, flanked by
round-arched recesses with ventilated openings. Ashlar band and eaves as
main range, the impost band continued as coping of side walls. Hipped roof.
North range: 2-storey, 3-bay carriage house flanked by single-storey, 3-bay
stables and tack room. Details as main range. Range to right contains
original C18 stalls. East-range: 2-storey, 4-bay;possibly cart shed with
accommodation over. 4 round-arched openings blocked and converted to house
mid C20. Central stack. Ashlar bands. Linking walls have buttresses at
intervals and on corners, with some ball finials surviving. H. Speight,
Nidderdale, 1894 p 191. Country Life, October 18th, 1973, p 1145.

Listing NGR: SE3915353884

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.