This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4369 / 51°26'12"N
Longitude: -0.5399 / 0°32'23"W
OS Eastings: 501584
OS Northings: 171890
OS Grid: TQ015718
Mapcode National: GBR GBD.VQD
Mapcode Global: VHFTP.L4FS
Entry Name: Commemorative Urns at Roundabout on Junction of A30 and A308
Listing Date: 17 November 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1189792
English Heritage Legacy ID: 289772
Location: Runnymede, Surrey, TW20
Electoral Ward/Division: Egham Town
Built-Up Area: Staines
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Egham
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
Pair of commemorative urns by Sir Edwin Lutyens 1929.
Pair of commemorative urns by Sir Edwin Lutyens 1929. Stone block on plinth with recessed entablature as on Lodges crowned with a formalised stone urn on a Laurel wreath. Inscribed 'Donation of Meadows to the Nation in memory of Urban Hanlon Broughton 1857-1929 by his widow and two sons'. Dedicated 18 December 1929.
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 12/06/2015
The urns, which are by the architect Sir Edwin Lutyens, are situated to the south-east of Runnymede Meadows. They commemorate the donation of the meadows to the nation by Lady Fairhaven (and sons) in memory of her husband Sir Urban Broughton MP, who was known for his charitable works.
Magna Carta, which means ‘Great Charter’, was sealed at Runnymede on 15th June 1215. This was an agreement between King John and his barons and clergy which, for the first time, made the monarch subject to the laws of the land. It also gave free men the right to justice and a fair trial. Over the subsequent 800 years it has influenced many constitutional documents including the United States’ Bill of Rights.
Runnymede today is a memorial landscape to the on-going struggle for democracy and liberty.
Legacy Record- This information may be included in the List Entry Details.
Other nearby listed buildings