This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1181 / 52°7'5"N
Longitude: -1.2064 / 1°12'23"W
OS Eastings: 454435
OS Northings: 246940
OS Grid: SP544469
Mapcode National: GBR 8TR.1V6
Mapcode Global: VHCW4.11L2
Plus Code: 9C4W4Q9V+6C
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 4 February 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1189875
English Heritage Legacy ID: 234050
Location: Culworth, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, OX17
Civil Parish: Culworth
Built-Up Area: Culworth
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Culworth St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
CULWORTH QUEENS STREET
SP5446 (North side)
11/21 Church of St. Mary
Church. Early C13 and C14. Chancel rebuilt 1840, other alterations c.1880 by
E.B. Law. Coursed squared ironstone and ironstone ashlar, lead roofs. Chancel,
aisled nave, south porch and west tower. 3-light window to south aisle, C14 has
hood with head stops and Intersecting tracery (renewed). Two 2-light windows
east of porch, C14, have hoods with head stops, (those to west are re-cut), and
Victorian tracery. C14 south porch has entrance arch with continuous mouldings
and double plank doors. Inner doorway C13, has jamb shafts with bell capitals,
moulded arch and hood stops carved with leaves, probably recut C19. 6-panel
double door, C18. Victorian window to west of porch and in west wall of south
aisle. C13 tower of 3 stages with crenellated parapet. Perpendicular bell
openings of 2 cusped lights with transom. Windows to north aisle Victorian.
Interior: Chancel arch C19. Early C13 three-bay arcades extended one bay to west
on either side of the tower in the C14. Easternmost piers are round with bell
capitals. Octagonal piers to west, that to north has scalloped capital, that to
south has capital with broad flat leaves. Victorian hood mould with large head
stops. C13 tower arch with triple chamfered arch and jambs. Single chamfered
arch to south and north. Decorated tomb recess in south aisle has arch with
ballflower decoration and jamb shafts with foliage capitals. C14 piscina with
moulded arch, at south east end of aisle. 3 windows in south aisle have jamb
shafts with bell capitals. Roofs C19. Font, octagonal, dated 1662. Fleur-de-lys
decoration. Lid with scrolls and finial, probably also C17. Bench ends in nave
have reused medieval tracery. Large monument to D'Anvers family in the chancel,
erected 1790 for Meriel D'Anvers, carved by Thomas Burnell and Sons of London.
Pink and white marble sarcophagus with urn flanked by standing cherubs in front
of large grey obelisk. Oval inscription plaque at base. Wall monument in north
aisle to Judith Rye died 1698. Grey and white marble oval inscription plaque
framed by cherubs heads and palm fronds and surmounted by urn and doves with
large winged skull at base. High quality carving. Wall monument in south aisle
to the Rev. James Weston-Harding, died 1837, signed by M.W. Johnson of London.
White marble with draped urn.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.171-2).
Listing NGR: SP5443546940
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings