This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2142 / 52°12'51"N
Longitude: -0.7725 / 0°46'20"W
OS Eastings: 483963
OS Northings: 258040
OS Grid: SP839580
Mapcode National: GBR CY4.3J7
Mapcode Global: VHDS7.KLGY
Entry Name: Compton House
Listing Date: 6 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1190099
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235490
Location: Denton, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN7
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Denton
Built-Up Area: Denton
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Denton St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
DENTON VICARAGE LANE
SP8358 (West side)
15/90 Compton House
House, formerly vicarage. Built 1893 by Fairfax B. Wade at the expence of 5th
Marquis of Northampton. Red brick with limestone dressings, plain-tile roofs,
brick internal stacks. H plan. Jacobean style. 2 storeys and attic; 4-window
range. Front to forecourt has central 5-light window to recessed centre bay with
4-centred head, moulded stone mullions and transom, arched heads to lights,
small shields to spandrels and hood mould continuing string course. Door to left
approached by 2 steps with panelled part-glazed door, moulded stone surround and
ogee moulding and shield to stone lintel. 2-light moulded stone mullion windows
to 1st floor with hood moulds. Similar 3-light windows to ground and 1st floors
of left wing, similar 4-light window to ground floor of right wing and 3-light
window to 1st floor. Wave-moulded stone plinth, diaper patterning of flared
headers to brick work incorporating Ns to central bay. Raised bands of quoins to
wings of alternating brick and stone. Moulded stone storey with stone surrounds.
Centre bay has taller shaped gable with horizontal keyed oval window to gable.
Stone bands to gables, which are stone-coped with kneelers and have stone
finials. Entrance front to left of 3 bays has central 2-storey gabled stone
porch with panelled door, moulded stone surround with basket-arched head to
door, blank shields to spandrels and hood mould. Shallow curved oriel window
above with 3-light moulded stone mullion and transom window, shield to moulded
base of oriel bearing initial N for Northampton in Garter crowned with marquis 5
coronet and parapet to top of oriel carved with fleur-de-lys and trefoil frieze.
Porch has shaped, stone-coped gable which bears date 1893. Porch flanked by
2-storey seated stone bay windows with moulded stone mullion and transom windows
to ground floor, stone mullion windows to 1st floor and shaped parapet. Gables
over bay windows with circular windows-which have stone surrounds and hood
moulds. Garden front has similar composition to forecourt front. Wings have
shallower projection. Centre has 2-storey seated stone bay window and one-light
windows to ground and lst floors to far left of bay window. Left wing has door
to right of ground floor window with panelled, part-glazed door, stone surround
and hood mould, approached by 3 steps. On the opposite side to the main entrance
is a single-storey service wing. Interior: hall has original chimneypiece. Open
well staircase. Plans in possession of owners.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, p184)
Listing NGR: SP8396358040
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings