This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0266 / 52°1'35"N
Longitude: -1.1497 / 1°8'58"W
OS Eastings: 458435
OS Northings: 236809
OS Grid: SP584368
Mapcode National: GBR 8VS.XVJ
Mapcode Global: VHCWK.1B17
Entry Name: Town Hall
Listing Date: 22 April 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1190100
English Heritage Legacy ID: 233880
Location: Brackley, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN13
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Brackley
Built-Up Area: Brackley
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Brackley
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
BRACKLEY MARKET PLACE
SP 5836 1/33 22.4.50.
Built in 1705-6 by Scroop, Earl (afterwards 1st Duke) of Bridgewater, at cost
of £2,000. 2-storeyed ashlar with rusticated quoins, coved cornice and stone
slate hipped roof, in centre of which is a clock tower with an ogee-capped cupola
surmounted by a weathercock of ornamental iron-work. The ground floor east
and west sides have 5 semi-circular-headed stone keystoned windows while in
the 1st floor are five 2-light mullioned and transomed wood windows in moulded
stone frames. In the east and west roof pitches are 4 dormer windows and in
north and south ends of the roof is a dormer window with a broken pediment.
Band at 1st floor. Wesley preached here, 1784.
Listing NGR: SP5843536809
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings