This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4895 / 51°29'22"N
Longitude: -0.178 / 0°10'40"W
OS Eastings: 526597
OS Northings: 178296
OS Grid: TQ265782
Mapcode National: GBR 4N.77
Mapcode Global: VHGQY.VTSK
Entry Name: Church of St Peter (Armenian Church)
Listing Date: 7 November 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1190125
English Heritage Legacy ID: 203727
Location: Kensington and Chelsea, London, SW7
District: Kensington and Chelsea
Electoral Ward/Division: Courtfield
Built-Up Area: Kensington and Chelsea
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: West Brompton St Mary with St Peter and St Jude
Church of England Diocese: London
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 28/09/2012
TQ 2678 SE
CRANLEY GARDENS SW7
Church of St Peter
Church. 1866-7, designed and built by the office of C J Freake, with additions by W D Caroe
and others, principally of 1907-9 and 1922-3. Kentish ragstone with ashlar dressings. Slate roof.
Decorated Gothic style. Tower in north-west corner, with three-stage broach steeple. Vestries
and hall on north side behind vicarage, by Caroe, 1907-9. Interior is cruciform with north and
south aisles and transepts, apsidal east end. Four-bay nave arcade to crossing arch with
clerestorey having alternate pairs of quatrefoil-headed and trefoil-headed lights; triple arches
flanking transepts, and chancel arch to sanctuary. Nave walls originally polychrome brick, now
whitewashed; west gallery by Caroe, 1909. Choir (under crossing) and sanctuary altered and
embellished by Caroe and Passmore, 1922-3, with dormer lights, and reredos, sedilia, and
canopy work richly carved by Nathaniel Hitch. Organ case on south side and gallery in north
transept by Caroe. Morning chapel off north transept by Caroe, 1907-9, with lierne vault and
carved figures by Hitch and Harold Whitaker, and Cosmati-style floor. Oak pulpit byJ S Alder,
1902. Stained glass by many hands, notably clerestorey windows by Mary Lowndes, 1904-6. St
Peter's was built by C J Freake as an estate church for his building developments on the Smith's
Charity Estate, complementing his previous St Paul's, Onslow Square (q.v.).
Source: Survey of London, vol.41, 1983, pp.114-17.
Listing NGR: TQ2659778296
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings