This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.051 / 52°3'3"N
Longitude: -1.1151 / 1°6'54"W
OS Eastings: 460779
OS Northings: 239548
OS Grid: SP607395
Mapcode National: GBR 9WZ.6XG
Mapcode Global: VHCWC.MQC2
Plus Code: 9C4W3V2M+CX
Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist
Listing Date: 22 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1190537
English Heritage Legacy ID: 234621
Location: Whitfield, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN13
Civil Parish: Whitfield
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Whitfield St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
10/111 Church of St. John the
Church. 1869-70 by Henry Woodyer of Guildford. Coursed squared limestone, ridge
tile roofs. Chancel, vestry and organ chamber, nave, north aisle, west tower.
3-bay chancel has east window with 3 stepped lancets recessed in chamfered stone
surround with hood mould and ornamental miniature buttresses either side of
central light and lancet windows to south; chamfered plinth, moulded string,
stone eaves and stone stone-coped gable with kneelers. Vestry has lancet window
to east, with roll-moulded straight-headed stone surround and plank door; organ
chamber has 2 lancets to north, panel carved with sacred monogram in stone-coped
gable with kneelers. North aisle has lancet windows, those to north with
continuous equilateral arched hood mould with foliage label stops either end.
Nave has 2-light windows to south with plate tracery with oculus in heads,
double roll-moulded south door in south porch with chamfered doorway with inner
rounded trefoil arch on shafts with moulded capitals, 3 small lancets east and
west and stone-coped gable with kneelers. 2-stage west tower has chamfered west
door with hood mould, small lancet above, stair turret with stone roof to
south-east angle, diagonal buttresses to west angles, 2-light bell openings with
plate tracery, pointed trefoil heads to right, supported by shafts with moulded
capitals, quatrefoils in heads and hood moulds and broach spire with one tier of
lucarnes. Chamfered plinths and stone eaves to nave and aisle. Interior: chancel
has encaustic tiled sanctuary, fine timber communion rail with small pointed
trefoil arches and arch-braced collar-truss roof. Nave has 4-bay north arcade
with octagonal piers with broach stop bases, shouldered chamfered arches and
outer chamfered arches on corbels and hood moulds. Arch-braced collar-truss
roof. Complete set of pitch pine furnishings. Royal Arms of 1710; oil on canvas
(stored in tower). Early C19 charity board. Stained glass windows by Morris
Co. from 1890. The west tower of the old church was blown down during a heavy
gale on February 1st, 1869. The church, which was a modest aisleless structure
of chiefly C13 date, was found to be in such a state of decay as to necessitate
complete rebuilding. A photograph of the old church after the disaster is in the
National Monuments Record.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.460; Kelly's Directory for
Listing NGR: SP6077939548
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings