This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8681 / 50°52'5"N
Longitude: 0.0083 / 0°0'29"E
OS Eastings: 541416
OS Northings: 109540
OS Grid: TQ414095
Mapcode National: GBR KQ2.GY4
Mapcode Global: FRA B6XT.12J
Entry Name: Ruins of Lewes Priory
Listing Date: 25 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1190737
English Heritage Legacy ID: 293053
Location: Lewes, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Lewes
Built-Up Area: Lewes
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Lewes St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ 4109 NW LEWES COCKSHUT ROAD
14/74 (east side)
Ruins of Lewes Priory
Ruins of the Priory of St Pancras. Founded after 1077 by William de Warenne
and his wife, Gundrada. Chalk corework with flint and stone dressings and
facings, patched with some Portland stone. Principal parts that remain include:
Fragment of the southwest tower of the Priory church, probably late C11 or
early C12, with wall-bench and shafts;of its wall-arcading. Part of the
southern wall of the Frater, including herringbone flintwork and masonry.
Vaults remain below with the remains of a spiral stair. Various blocks of
masonry by the railway-line west-south-west of the frater, formally buttresses
to a large hall of unknown use. They are of C15 date, of chequered stone and
flint flushwork. The undercroft of the Dorter, late Cll and late C12, containing
the original reredorter. The southern part of the Dorter undercroft retains
the springing-points of the semi-circular vault. At some point this part of
the building was used for rifle practice. The Reredorter, late C12. In the
south wall have been set many carved fragments, now heavily weathered.
Remains of the Infirmary Chapel, late C11 and second third of the C12.
The original square-ended chancel was later lengthened with a nave, given
north and south chapels and may also have had a triforium. The remains at
Lewes are important, at least in part, because the first Prior of Lewes, Lanzo,
(1077-1107), was greatly influenced by Cluny, then in its third great phase of
building, and because, during its progressive enlargment during the C12, it was
very much a replica of the mother house. The first lay-owner was Thomas Crom-
well who, between 1537 and 1540, built a country house on the site of the
Prior's Lodging; this later passed into the hands of the Sackville family.
Work in connection with the cutting for the railway line from Lewes to Brighton
in 1845 destroyed the whole of whatever may have remained of the east end and
the high altar of the Priory Church. The Lewes Priory site is scheduled as
an Ancient Monument.
Listing NGR: TQ4142909558
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings