History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Remains of Former Kirby Hall, and Attached Gateway, Walls and Carriage Gate Piers

A Grade II Listed Building in Kirby Hall, North Yorkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0422 / 54°2'31"N

Longitude: -1.3026 / 1°18'9"W

OS Eastings: 445764

OS Northings: 460918

OS Grid: SE457609

Mapcode National: GBR MPBP.SQ

Mapcode Global: WHD9G.YNWJ

Plus Code: 9C6W2MRW+VW

Entry Name: Remains of Former Kirby Hall, and Attached Gateway, Walls and Carriage Gate Piers

Listing Date: 15 March 1966

Last Amended: 12 December 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1190739

English Heritage Legacy ID: 331848

Location: Kirby Hall, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, YO26

County: North Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Kirby Hall

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Aldwark

Listing Text

KIRBY HALL KIRBY HALL ESTATE
SE 4460-4560
10/33 Remains of former Kirby
15/3/66 Hall, and attached
gateway, walls and
carriage-gate piers
(part formerly listed
as Curtain Wall at
Kirby Hall)
GV II
Remains of country house and forecourt walls, yard gateway and carriage-
gate piers. 1747-c.1755. By Lord Burlington and Roger Morris for Stephen
Thompson. Limestone ashlar. House wall with angled and quadrant wall at
left. 7-bay, rusticated house basement with former portico-opening in
centre flanked by square window openings beneath flat arches of voussoirs.
To left, yard gate in rusticated, segment-arched opening in wall with
moulded cornice and ball finials. Round-headed plank door with pegged-on
panelling. Forecourt walls are approximately 2.25 metres high, on plain
plinth, with square-section pilaster piers and ball finials, and ramped up
to yard gateway. Angled section left of yard gate is balustraded, on
moulded plinth, with moulded coping. Banded rusticated, square-section
carriage gate piers, approximately 4.5 metres high on moulded bases, with
moulded cornices, stepped-up caps and pineapple finials. The Hall was
demolished in the early 1920s and is illustrated in Vitruvius Brittanicus,
Vol.V, plates 70 and 71. See also: H.Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary
of English Architects, 1660-1840; Country Life, 17 February, 1972,p.388;
York Georgian Society Annual Reports for 1972 and 1985; York Georgian
Society, The Works in Architecture of John Carr.


Listing NGR: SE4576460918

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.