This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1156 / 52°6'56"N
Longitude: -0.92 / 0°55'12"W
OS Eastings: 474047
OS Northings: 246909
OS Grid: SP740469
Mapcode National: GBR BXS.87C
Mapcode Global: VHDSR.03G1
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 17 May 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1190752
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235281
Location: Alderton, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN12
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Alderton
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Alderton St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
GRAFTON REGIS CHURCH LANE
SP7446 (South side)
12/44 Church of St. Margaret
Church. Late Perpendicular, body of Church rebuilt 1848. Coursed squared
limestone, slate roofs. Chancel, nave, south porch, west tower. 2-bay chancel
has 3-light east window with C19 curvilinear tracery and hood mould with label
stops and pair of 1-light windows to south with straight heads cinquefoil-headed
lights cut spandrels and hood moulds; diagonal offset buttresses. Nave has
2-light windows with Decorated style tracery and hood moulds with label stops.
South door has hollow chamfer and wave moulding. South porch has chamfered
doorway with hood mould. 2-stage tower has 2-light west window with
segmental-arched head and hood mould. 2-light bell-chamber openings with
straight heads and hood moulds, and battlemented parapet. Nave and chancel have
hollow-chamfered stone eaves. Diagonal off-set buttresses to nave. Interior:
chancel has ogee-arched blank arcading to east end. Double-chamfered chancel
arch, continuous outermost, resting on corbels innermost. Double-chamfered tower
arch with polygonal responds. C19 arch-braced collar truss roof. Font
octagonal, bowl and stem in one, panelled with cusped blank arcading and foliage
frieze with heads to angles. Pulpit dated 1631, hexagonal. Panels have short
broad blank arches and strapwork above. Back panel inscribed I THE LORD/WILL
MEET/THEE IN THIS/PLACE AND TEL/THEE WHAT THOU/SHALT SAYE TO/THE PEOPLE EX.25.
Tester has two winged cherubim heads within. The inscription is adapted from
Exodus 25 verse 22 and the decoration of the tester is inspired by the
description of the mercy seat in the same chapter. Pair of brass candle-holders.
West gallery curves forward and is supported by simple fluted columns with
painted inscription to front: THIS GALLERY WAS ERECTED FOR THE SINGERS ONLY ANNO
DOMINI 1831/BY VOLONTARY CONTRIBUTIONS FROM THE PARISHIONERS. C19 stain-glass
windows to chancel south windows. Monuments: oaken effigy of cross-legged
knight, Early C14. Believed to be Sir William de Combemartyne d.1318. Brass
plate in moulded stone surround to Sir John Heselrige 3rd son of Sir Thomas
Haselrige Baronet d.1655, with Latin inscription, arms to left hand upper
corner, crest to right.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, p76)
Listing NGR: SP7404746909
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings