History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Carlton Husthwaite, North Yorkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 54.1838 / 54°11'1"N

Longitude: -1.2358 / 1°14'8"W

OS Eastings: 449970

OS Northings: 476713

OS Grid: SE499767

Mapcode National: GBR MNT1.7Z

Mapcode Global: WHD8X.Z3PH

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 17 May 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1190878

English Heritage Legacy ID: 332729

Location: Carlton Husthwaite, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, YO7

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton

Civil Parish: Carlton Husthwaite

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Husthwaite St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SE 4876-4976
(north side)
Church of St Mary

Chapel of ease. c.1675. Sandstone, rubble to plinths and north side, ashlar to
other walls, with gritstone dressings, Welsh slate roofs. 3-storey west tower,
nave and chancel in one and of 7 internal bays. Gothic survival style. South
wall: chamfered offset to plinth; windows of two ogee-headed lights with hood-
moulds, 1 to left of door, 3 to right; round-arched doorway with impost
capitals, the arris moulded and stopped, with hood mould; chamfered kneelers,
ashlar coping, with base for finial to right. East window of 3 lights, the
central one taller, in segmental-arched opening with torus imposts, keystone
interrupting hood mould and jewelled spandrels. North side: no openings. Tower
has on each side a chamfered and ogee-headed single-light louvred belfry open-
ing, with a single-light west window with hood mould, clock faces on west and
south sides and a bench mark on the west side; pyramidal roof with weather-vane
dated 1923 at apex. A small C19 heating chamber has been added in the angle
between the tower and the nave on the north side. INTERIOR: windows are hollow
chamfered; chamfered round arch to tower with imposts, now blocked with screen
of reused C17 panelling which has fanlight of old glass; roof has moulded tie-
beams carried on wall posts with brackets; C17 furniture includes stalls and
benches with moulded stiles and knob finials in pairs; reading desk inscribed
'PRAISE THE LORD O IERVSALEM'; octagonal pulpit with bolection frames to panels,
and stem to tester inscribed 'FEED MY LAMBES' and the date 1678, tester has a
garlanded frieze with pediments above and pendant knobs below, and ogee ribs to
the open canopy; altar rail has central gates with turned balusters and swept
top rail, flanked by boarded panels surmounted by ogee-traceried lights under
swept top rail, flanked by boarded panels surmounted by ogee-traceried lights
under swept top rails with finials; octagonal font on chamfered stem; William
and Mary royal coat of arms dated 1689. The bells are dated 1677, which appears
to be contemporary with the completion of the tower. VCH ii, pp.37,39.

Listing NGR: SE4997076713

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.