This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5295 / 51°31'46"N
Longitude: -0.2232 / 0°13'23"W
OS Eastings: 523348
OS Northings: 182670
OS Grid: TQ233826
Mapcode National: GBR BD.8DV
Mapcode Global: VHGQR.2TVC
Entry Name: Tomb of Elizabeth and Alexis Soyer
Listing Date: 7 November 1984
Last Amended: 13 June 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1191060
English Heritage Legacy ID: 203828
Location: Kensington and Chelsea, London, W10
District: Kensington and Chelsea
Electoral Ward/Division: Queens Park
Built-Up Area: Brent
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Michaell and All Angels Ladbroke Grove
Church of England Diocese: London
249/80/64 HARROW ROAD W10
07-NOV-84 KENSAL GREEN CEMETERY
Tomb of Elizabeth and Alexis Soyer
(Formerly listed as:
HARROW ROAD W10
KENSAL GREEN CEMETERY
Tomb of Francois Simonau)
Pedestal tomb of Elizabeth Soyer.1844. Designed by Alexis Soyer, carved by Pierre Puyenbroeck of Brussels. Elizabeth Soyer was a popular painter who miscarried and died in 1842, aged 29. Her husband Alexis Soyer (who designed this monument to his wife and is himself also buried here) was the leading chef and dietician of the mid-19th century, responsible also for reforming army catering in the Crimea. Elizabeth's step-father Francois Simoneau, who died in 1859, is also a figure of interest, known as the `Flemish Murillo'. This monument in Portland stone and marble, was designed by Elizabeth Soyer's husband Alexis Soyer and carved by Pierre Puyenbroeck of Brussels in 1844. The base was formerly inscribed in large bronze letters TO HER and the evidence for this can still be seen. The middle section consists of a marble portrait relief of Madame Soyer in the style of Van Dyck. An easel and brushes are suspended below and still bear extensive remains of paint which originally decorated this monument. The rear of the middle section contains a recess which formerly housed her easel behind glass, together with a wreath presented by Mlle Cerito, an opera singer. The top section consists of a standing female draped figure of Faith, originally illuminated by a jet of gas light. The bronze gas nozzle is still in situ to testify to this.
See Illustrated London News, 7th September 1844, p.160.
Listing NGR: TQ2334582661
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings