This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.493 / 53°29'34"N
Longitude: -1.6158 / 1°36'57"W
OS Eastings: 425584
OS Northings: 399652
OS Grid: SK255996
Mapcode National: GBR KX41.ZL
Mapcode Global: WHCBX.4GTL
Entry Name: Underbank Hall
Listing Date: 21 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1191496
English Heritage Legacy ID: 333845
Location: Hunshelf, Barnsley, S36
Civil Parish: Hunshelf
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Penistone St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK29NE HUNSHELF UNDERBANK LANE
11/64 Underbank Hall
Large detached house. Early to mid C18 with earlier core. Deeply-coursed
squared stone, stone slate roof. Four parallel gabled ranges, the left wing
projecting to front and the third projecting at rear. Two storeys. Wings 2,
3 and 4 are identical with 2 bays of tall 12-pane sashes in raised surrounds.
Wing 3 is set back slightly and is of 3 bays with shorter 12-pane sashes in
raised surrounds. The doorway to the right of wing 3 has a moulded architrave
with moulded cornice above which is a 3-panel plaque with 3 coats of arms. The
left wing is similar but with 2 bays of 16-pane sashes in flush surrounds except
ground-floor left which is a double-chamfered 2-light window. Hollow-chamfered
gable copings on cut kneelers. Seven ashlar stacks with chamfered plinths and
moulded cornices. Rear: the projecting wing has double-chamfered windows of
2, 3 and 4 lights. To the left are sash windows, as front, one of 30 lights.
Alterations and additions to right. Left return retains two altered 2-light
Interior: C20 entrance vestibule with good 8-panel door and oak panelling in
keeping with C18 oak panelling in the right room. This room has an oak screen
above the later fireplace, possibly imported and dated 1594, consisting of two
segmental arches with inlaid floral patterns, framed and separated by debased,
fluted Ionic pilasters. The room to left of hall (formerly 2 rooms) has panelled
walls with smaller panels at lower level, probably a C19 or C20 facsimile.
Recorded owners of the hall and previous halls include the West family from 1480,
the Fenton family from the C17 to 1839, and then the de Wend family. In 1959 the
hall was sold to the British Steel Corporation (B.S.C. guide brochure).
Listing NGR: SK2558499652
Other nearby listed buildings