This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.5202 / 53°31'12"N
Longitude: -1.507 / 1°30'25"W
OS Eastings: 432786
OS Northings: 402722
OS Grid: SE327027
Mapcode National: GBR KWXQ.JV
Mapcode Global: WHCBR.TSL7
Entry Name: Rotunda Temple
Listing Date: 18 March 1968
Last Amended: 4 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1191615
English Heritage Legacy ID: 333915
Location: Stainborough, Barnsley, S75
Civil Parish: Stainborough
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Silkstone All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
STAINBOROUGH STAINBOROUGH PARK
1/40 Rotunda Temple
(formerly listed as
18.3.68 Wentworth Castle)
Ornamental temple. Dated 1746. For the 2nd Earl of Strafford. Ashlar sandstone.
Ionic peristyle rotunda set on raised platform. Platform has moulded plinth and
cornice and is approached by curved steps on west side having flanking wing walls.
14 columns support full entablature with bayleaf frieze, mutules and lions' heads
carved on the cornice. The dome has fallen in. A central cylindrical drum has
blocked doorway at top of steps with architrave, bay-leaf frieze and cornice,
festoons and wreaths over. Square-headed and semi-domed niches set round, the
inscription ' S / 1746 ' within wreath on side opposite steps. Built during the
early 1740s, having been started for the 1st Earl (d1739) by Joseph Bower (estate
mason). Modelled on the temple of Tivoli at Rome.
J. Wilkinson, Worthies, Families and Celebrities of Barnsley and the District, 1883
Listing NGR: SE3278602722
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings