This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4037 / 52°24'13"N
Longitude: -0.6011 / 0°36'3"W
OS Eastings: 495265
OS Northings: 279330
OS Grid: SP952793
Mapcode National: GBR DXC.BTQ
Mapcode Global: VHFNT.JVL6
Plus Code: 9C4XC93X+FH
Entry Name: War Memorial Approximately 6 Metres South of Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 31 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1192423
English Heritage Legacy ID: 232550
Location: Lowick, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN14
Civil Parish: Lowick
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Slipton St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
The war memorial stands alongside the Grade II*-listed church of St John the Baptist, which stands well outside the village. It takes the form of a limestone cross on an octagonal shaft of c. 1920, set in an octagonal, perhaps C15, medieval churchyard cross socket with a square base mounted on two octagonal steps (c. 1920). An inscription in raised lettering running around the second step reads THIS CROSS WAS RESTORED IN MEMORY OF THOSE MEN OF SLIPTON, WHO DIED IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1919. The names of those who fell are listed below the inscription.
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 16/12/2014
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 17 January 2017.
The memorial was presumably constructed c.1920 like the majority of those in England.
Slipton’s war memorial, which stands in its churchyard, is designated at Grade II for the following reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Design: a well executed medieval-style cross incorporating part of a real medieval churchyard cross;
* Group value with the Grade II*-listed church of St John the Baptist.
Other nearby listed buildings