This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.5053 / 53°30'19"N
Longitude: -1.3716 / 1°22'17"W
OS Eastings: 441775
OS Northings: 401138
OS Grid: SE417011
Mapcode National: GBR LWVX.V5
Mapcode Global: WHDD4.X503
Entry Name: School House and Attached School Room at Brampton Ellis Junior School
Listing Date: 21 August 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1192494
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335548
Location: Rotherham, S63
Electoral Ward/Division: Hoober
Built-Up Area: Wath upon Dearne
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Brampton Bierlow Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SE40SW WATH UPON DEARNE BRAMPTON ROAD
2/39 School-house and
at Brampton Ellis
House with attached school-room. House probably mid C18, altered and
school-room rebuilt 1791; later alterations. Coursed, squaredsandstone;
tile and Welsh slate roofs. 3-storey, 3-bay house with continuous outshut
to rear; 2-bay single-storey school-room to left, set back. House: plinth,
large quoins. Central doorway with C20 door in stone surround; added
wood surround with pediment. Flanking sashes with margin lights in square-
faced surrounds with projecting sills. 3 similar windows to 1st floor.
3 shorter windows to 2nd floor have casements with glazing bars. Gable
copings; renewed brick end stacks. Schoolroom: central door in square-
faced surround, now window. Flanking 2-light windows: renewed casements
in tall square-faced surrounds with stone mullions. Inscribed plaque over
door; sundial with decorative iron gnomon over. Hipped roof to left,
ridge ventilator. Inscription on plaque reads:
This Charity-School and House were rebuilt
in the Year 1791
by the Order of the Right Honle Earl Fitzwilliam
The Very Revd. John Fountayne DD
Rowland Hodgson Rector of Rawmarsh
St Andrew Warde, William Oates, Francis Edmunds
and Thomas Hewett Esqrs.
TRUSTEES for this CHARITY
George Ellis (1627-1712) of Brampton Hall, Brampton Bierlow bequeathed a
sum of money to establish this and other local schools in his will of 1711.
The school, as rebuilt in 1791, was to cater for 20 children in the single
Additions to rear and left return not of special interest.
Reproduction of the will of George Ellis in possession of the headmaster.
Listing NGR: SE4177501138
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings