This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0539 / 52°3'14"N
Longitude: -1.2194 / 1°13'9"W
OS Eastings: 453619
OS Northings: 239791
OS Grid: SP536397
Mapcode National: GBR 8VH.BHC
Mapcode Global: VHCW9.TM6T
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 4 February 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1192622
English Heritage Legacy ID: 233991
Location: Farthinghoe, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN13
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Farthinghoe
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Farthinghoe St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SP53NW FARTHINGHOE MAIN ROAD
5/91 Church of St Michael
Church. C12-15 with C17 additions. Date stone 1654 and 1871. Squared
coursed limestone. Slate and lead roof. Consists of Chancel, South vestry,
nave and clerestry, North and south aisles, south porch, west tower. East
window of chancel is Decorated, 3 lights with reticulated tracery. blocked
doorway in North wall with plain pointed arch and stone hood. In the South
wall is a C14 trefoil headed lancet. To the right is the head of a Decorated
window with reticulated tracery the lower section now forming doorway to the
late Perpendicular South vestry, reputedly built as a schoolroom in the C17.
It has windows of 3 and 4 arched uncusped lights under square heads, and a
doorway with a 4 centred arch, in the west wall. Decorated and perpendicular
windows of 2 and 3 lights in south aisle. C13. South doorway has responds
each with a pair of detached shafts. Porch rebuilt 1871 (date stone) in gable
re-using C13 and C14 work. West tower of 3 stages has castellated parapet and
2 light Perpendicular bell openings with square. On south face of central
stage is a sundial with Egerton coat of arms and date l654. Also a plaque
with names of church windows recording repairs to tower. C12 west doorway
with plain round arch. In North aisle are 2 Decorated 2 light windows with
reticulated tracery (renewed) in North wall. Similar 3 light window in East
wall, and Perpendicular west window of 2 lights with square hood for
Turret with stairs to former road loft between north aisle and chancel.
Perpendicular clerestory windows of 2 cusped lights with square hoods.
Interior: early C13 south arcade, 3 bays with pointed double chamfered arches
and round piers, one capital carved with stiff leaf, the other moulded.
Similar North arcade has capital with primitive stiff leaf carving, the other
moulded. The lead corbels in the clerestory are Perpendicular
Plain C12 tower arch.
Monument to George Rush died 1806. Signed by Charles Regnart of London. Free
standing sarcophagus with life size white marble figure in loose robe reclining
with slippers on feet and Bible in hand. According to R. Gunnis the masterpiece
or Regnart. The effgy is "one of the most remarkable and unusual in England
during the early nineteenth century." The wall tablet now dissembled to
Henrietta and Catherine Rush died 1801, with mourning women by urn. Stone
wall tablets in chacel; 1684 and 1694, inscriptions in oval frames of scrolls
with cherubs and swags of fruit.
(Buildings of England, Northamptonshire. p.212
R Gunnis, Dictionary of British Sculpture, revised Edition p.317)/
Listing NGR: SP5361939791
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings