This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9082 / 50°54'29"N
Longitude: 0.191 / 0°11'27"E
OS Eastings: 554134
OS Northings: 114370
OS Grid: TQ541143
Mapcode National: GBR MSD.TB6
Mapcode Global: FRA C69P.S8H
Plus Code: 9F22W55R+79
Entry Name: Place Farmhouse
Listing Date: 13 October 1952
Last Amended: 12 August 1981
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1192781
English Heritage Legacy ID: 295026
Location: Chiddingly, Wealden, East Sussex, BN8
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Chiddingly
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Chiddingly
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
CHIDDINGLY CHIDDINGLY VILLAGE
(formerly listed as
TQ 51 SW 11/570 13.10.52
The present farmhouse is part of a large E-shaped C16 mansion built by Sir
John Jefferay, Lord Chief Baron of the Exchequer, who died in 1577. It
later fell into ruins, and the west wing was demolished in the early C19.
The original centre portion is now a farmhouse. It is of red brick with
a hipped tiled roof. Casement windows with stone mullions and transoms.
The north front has 2 windows of 3 lights each with 4-centred heads and
fluted frieze above on the ground floor and on the first floor 2 windows
of 2 tiers of 3 similar lights but no frieze above. To the west is an C18
porch with Ionic columns containing a round-headed doorway with semi-circular
fanlight and door of 6 fielded panels.
The west front has one window of 2 tiers of 3 lights with 4-centred heads,
one window of 2 square-headed lights and one blocked ditto on the ground
floor and 2 windows of 2 tiers of square-headed lights and 2 tiny blocked
windows on the first floor. Three 4-centred stone doorways with carved
spandrels on ground floor, 2 of them blocked with red brick and the third
containing a window, and a blocked window. On the first floor is another
similar blocked doorway. The south front has 2 square-headed windows of
2 tiers of 3 lights and a chimney breast. L-wing behind, which is possibly
later, with square-headed windows having dripstones over.
To the east of the farmhouse are the brick arches of cellars and some remains
of brick walls.
Listing NGR: TQ5415014383
Other nearby listed buildings