This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2074 / 51°12'26"N
Longitude: -2.1881 / 2°11'17"W
OS Eastings: 386953
OS Northings: 145367
OS Grid: ST869453
Mapcode National: GBR 1V5.CKS
Mapcode Global: VH97H.1X29
Plus Code: 9C3V6R46+WP
Entry Name: Warminster School
Listing Date: 28 April 1952
Last Amended: 31 March 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1193680
English Heritage Legacy ID: 312866
Location: Warminster, Wiltshire, BA12
Civil Parish: Warminster
Built-Up Area: Warminster
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Warminster St Denys
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
WARMINSTER CHURCH STREET
No 28 (Warminster School)
(Formerly listed as
No 28 (Lord Weymouth
ST 8645 SE 5/67 28.4.52.
ST 8745 SW 6/67
Built 1705 to 1708 and endowed 1707 by 1st Lord Weymouth (see inscribed tablet
over entrance). 2 1/2 storeys, local rubble, irregular with occasional ashlar
blocks on ground floor and wider yellow courses on 1st floor. Plinth, 1st
floor string and moulded eaves cornice. Rusticated quoins. Old tile roof
with coped verges and gable end chimneys. Symmetrical with 7 bays and slight
central break. 7 hipped 2 light glazing bar dormers, cross stone mullion
and transom casement windows, slightly taller on ground floor; 3 central 1st
floor windows with original lead lights. Central doorpiece from a design
by Christopher Wren circa 1670s, or possibly earlier still, from Longleat
whence it was removed and cut down to its present form:- Bath stone engaged
Corinthian columns with entablature and bracketted cornice flanking half pilasters
to jambs with architrave overarch, central carved keystone and fruit and drapery
swags in spandrels. School set back from road with hipped lean-to to left
with 2 ground floor windows. On the right is a 3 storey range in painted
brick and slate roof, probably early C19, with 2 windows to upper floors.
The interior of the school has a fine panelled (staff) room with an ornamental
fireplace (also said to have been brought from Longleat): swagged Ionic capitals,
flanking shell niches, egg and dart cornice; ceiling of this room painted
by an Italian prisoner of war in 1944. The east front of the school repeats
the general design but has a plainer central door in plain stone surround.
Small square rusticated piers at corners of garden to Church Street in which
are situated a C16-C17 female statue and the fragments of a possibly C15 piscina.
Similar gate piers with ball finials to Ash Walk. 16 ft coursed and squared
mid C19 wall encloses large space to east, with green house on north side.
Dr Arnold and Dean Stanley educated here.
Listing NGR: ST8688645279
Other nearby listed buildings