History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ewelme Manor

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wallingford, Oxfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.6182 / 51°37'5"N

Longitude: -1.0715 / 1°4'17"W

OS Eastings: 464383

OS Northings: 191449

OS Grid: SU643914

Mapcode National: GBR B27.KX1

Mapcode Global: VHCYJ.CLXB

Plus Code: 9C3WJW9H+7C

Entry Name: Ewelme Manor

Listing Date: 18 July 1963

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1194482

English Heritage Legacy ID: 247813

Location: Ewelme, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX10

County: Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Ewelme

Built-Up Area: Benson

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Ewelme

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SU6491 (South side)
8/104 Ewelme Manor

Part of Ewelme Palace, now house. c.1450 with late C18 fenestration and wing to
rear left. Red brick; old plain-tile roof; brick lateral stacks to rear. 2
storeys, 3-window range. 6-panel door with fan-light to C19 red brick porch to
centre. 16-pane sashes to all openings. Right return: 2 storeys and attic,
angled buttresses to corners. 20-pane sashes to ground and first floor, 4-pane
sash to attic gable. Interior: Arch-braced collar-truss roof with sharply curved
wind-braces. Last surviving fragment of Chaucer's ancestral home. Enlarged after
the marriage of Alice Chaucer to William de la Pole (Earl of Suffolk) in 1430.
Described by Leland in 1542, "The base court of it is fair and is builded with
brick and timber. The inner part of the house is set within a fair moat and is
builded richly of brick and stone. The hall of it is fair and hath great bars of
iron over thwart it instead of gross-beads." What is now the Manor was part of a
self-contained range for the accommodation of guests or retainers. Shown in an
engraving by Samuel and Nathaniel Buck of 1729. Truncated and remodelled in
(Malcolm Airs "Ewelme" Archaelogical Journal, Vol.135, 1975, pp.275-280;
Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.600).

Listing NGR: SU6438391449

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.