History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Southwick Court Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Southwick, Wiltshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.3012 / 51°18'4"N

Longitude: -2.2235 / 2°13'24"W

OS Eastings: 384511

OS Northings: 155808

OS Grid: ST845558

Mapcode National: GBR 1SZ.8NP

Mapcode Global: VH972.DKVC

Plus Code: 9C3V8Q2G+FH

Entry Name: Southwick Court Farmhouse

Listing Date: 11 September 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1194818

English Heritage Legacy ID: 314601

Location: Southwick, Wiltshire, BA14

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Southwick

Built-Up Area: Trowbridge

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: North Bradley, Southwick and Heywood

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in


(off south side)

6/155 Southwick Court Farmhouse



Farmhouse. Late C16 and C17. Rubble stone, dressed limestone. and
English garden wall bond brick, stone slate roof with coped verges
and lateral or axial stone and brick stacks. L-plan. Two-storey,
6-window north west front has five recessed chamfered cross windows
and bull's eye in possible former doorway with string course
carried over, first floor has five 2-light mullioned casements,
the right three with one hoodmould, bull's eye over ground floor
bull's eye and single-light casement to left, attic gable of wing
to right has 2-light mullioned casement with hoodmould. Right
return has C20 casement and small leaded casements to brick left
hand part, large external lateral stone and brick stack with
offsets to right, single-light casement to right, hipped attic
dormer with 2-light casement. Left return with attached gatehouse
(q.v.) has blocked doorway. Rear, garden front has double planked
doors in moulded square-headed architrave to left of centre,
single-light moulded casement to left and three 2-light mullioned
casements to right, single-light, bull's eye and three mullioned
casements to first floor, four grouped stacks opposite doorway.
Wing projecting to left has 4-light mullioned and transomed
casements, C19 insertions, to gable end and ground floor of right
return, 3-light mullioned casement to first floor of return and
single-light attic casement to gable end, said to have datestones
inscribed 1567/W.B. (Walter Bush) and 1693/S.W.L. Interior not
accessible at time of survey (June 1987), but said to have remains
of timber-framing in wing dating from late C16, some reused smoke-
blackened roof timbers, several Tudor-arched stone fireplaces and
late C17 staircase. House on moated site and probably a C16 and
C17 rebuilding of an earlier house of considerable importance, a
chapel dedicated to St John the Baptist was pulled down in 1839.
Owned by the Stafford family in C14, Willoughby family of Brook
Hall (q.v. North Bradley) in C15. Longs of Whaddon owned the house
in late C17 until late C19.
(VCH, Wiltshire, Vol 8; Wiltshire, Archaeological Magazine, Vol
14, 1872; Wiltshire County Council)

Listing NGR: ST8451155808

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.