This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6787 / 52°40'43"N
Longitude: -1.8258 / 1°49'32"W
OS Eastings: 411873
OS Northings: 309014
OS Grid: SK118090
Mapcode National: GBR 4DV.16V
Mapcode Global: WHCGN.XXRT
Entry Name: Davidson House and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 5 February 1952
Last Amended: 17 June 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1194882
English Heritage Legacy ID: 382802
Location: Lichfield, Lichfield, Staffordshire, WS14
Civil Parish: Lichfield
Built-Up Area: Lichfield
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Lichfield St Michael and St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SK1109SE UPPER ST JOHN STREET
1094-1/8/234 (East side)
Davidson House and attached
(Formerly Listed as:
UPPER ST JOHN STREET
South Staffordshire Regimental
House, now office. c1810. Brick with ashlar dressings; hipped
slate roof with 2 large brick stacks. Gable facing, front to
3 storeys; 3-window range.
Ashlar plinth, sill bands and top modillioned cornice with
Central entrance with architrave and overlight to paired
3-panel doors, in altered porch with slender Tuscan column to
right; bay window to left has cornice. Windows have pilasters,
friezes and cornices; tripartite bay window with colonnettes
and 8:12:8-pane sashes; similar window to right has brick
piers and central open pediment; 2 similar tripartite windows
to 1st floor have colonnettes and central open pediments,
flanking window with open pediment over 12-pane sash; 2nd
floor windows have architraves to 6-pane sashes.
Terrace to right end has steps to street level and plain iron
railings to both. Street facade has similar details; high
plinth, tripartite windows to ground and 1st floors, that to
ground floor has brick piers.
Rear has 2-storey gabled service range. Right return has
cogged brick cornice and varied fenestration.
INTERIOR: windows have shutters.
Thomas Johnson, a noted Lichfield architect, lived and worked
here from before 1834 until his death in 1853; he was
succeeded by his son, also Thomas, who died in 1865. From 1938
to 1963 the building housed the South Staffordshire Regimental
Museum, named after Brigadier General C.S.Davidson.
(Victoria History of the County of Stafford: Greenslade M W:
Lichfield: Oxford: 1990-: P.131, 169).
Listing NGR: SK1187309014
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings