History in Structure

Church of St Faith

A Grade II* Listed Building in King's Lynn, Norfolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.7564 / 52°45'23"N

Longitude: 0.4231 / 0°25'23"E

OS Eastings: 563615

OS Northings: 320396

OS Grid: TF636203

Mapcode National: GBR N3R.5S1

Mapcode Global: WHJP1.GZP8

Plus Code: 9F42QC4F+H6

Entry Name: Church of St Faith

Listing Date: 1 December 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1195311

English Heritage Legacy ID: 384107

ID on this website: 101195311

Location: St Faith's Church, Gaywood, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE30

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk

Electoral Ward/Division: Gaywood Chase

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: King's Lynn

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in
Kings Lynn



GAYTON ROAD (South side)
Church of St Faith


Parish church. Norman origins, west tower c.1370, when remainder rebuilt, transepts reworked late C16. Chancel re-roofed 1909, transepts restored, vestry and south chancel chapel added, by W.D Caröe. 1923-26 nave rebuilt and aisles added. South-west nave chapel 1989. Brick with ashlar dressings. Plain tiled roofs.

Three-stage west tower, with diagonal stepped buttresses. Y-tracery west window. Slit lights to ringing chamber and cusped two-light belfry windows. Crenellated parapet. Stair turret to south east. North porch rebuilt in stone 1923-26 re-using Norman arch. One order of shafts with scalloped capitals. Inner arch with incised beakhead decoration, outer with chevron. Nailhead in hood mould. Inner doorway with double wave mouldings. Two three-light panel tracery aisle windows. Gabled aisle roofs. Gabled transepts now engaged by aisles, with kneelers and two-light Y-tracery north and south windows, the latter cusped and C14. North chancel with large vestry. South chancel with 1909 red-brick chapel terminating to east in a concave gable above a round-headed window with square hood. Remainder of chancel rendered. Two-light cusped C14 Y-tracery south window. Three-light reticulated east window, also cusped.

INTERIOR: four-bay arcade of 1923-26: lozenge piers and four-centred arches. Barrel-vaulted timber nave roof. Chancel roof with arched braces to collars, 1909. West tower arch triple chamfered. Octagonal late C14 font, the stem with two-light cinquefoiled tracery to each facet. Mouldings lead up to bowl with alternating facets of encircled tracery and C17 inscriptions. Two C17 painted panels in south aisle: one of Queen Elizabeth arriving in Tilbury with the Spanish Armada in the background experiencing difficulties at the hands of the English, the other of the discovery of the Gunpowder plot. Bequeathed by the rector, Thomas Hare, who died in 1634. (These not closely examined as covered at time of Review).

Listing NGR: TF6361520396

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.