This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5398 / 51°32'23"N
Longitude: -0.1028 / 0°6'9"W
OS Eastings: 531672
OS Northings: 184030
OS Grid: TQ316840
Mapcode National: GBR P2.26
Mapcode Global: VHGQT.5KJF
Entry Name: 140a, 141-143, Upper Street
Listing Date: 30 September 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195773
English Heritage Legacy ID: 369403
Location: Islington, London, N1
Electoral Ward/Division: St Mary's
Built-Up Area: Islington
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Mary Islington
Church of England Diocese: London
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 06/06/2018
UPPER STREET (West side)
Nos.140a, 141-143 (Consecutive)
(Formerly listed as Nos.140-143 (Consecutive))
Shops, with offices and/or domestic accommodation above. 1891 by Herbert Huntly-Gordon. Terracotta, probably by Doulton and Co., roofs of Welsh slate, Turnerised. The style is the Flemish variation of 'Queen Anne'.
Four storeys, the facade set out broadly as four bays to Upper Street and two to Almeida Street, with a corner oriel. Elevation to Upper Street: ground floor all C20 apart from pilasters between bays and part of shopfront to No 143; first and second floors treated as alternating bays divided by superimposed pilasters, the bays running ABA from the north: type A has one five-light mullioned and transomed window to each floor; type B has three windows to each floor, each set in a shallow curve with an engaged column between; the fourth bay from the north is of type B but has only two windows.
The three-sided oriel has an inscription at its base: 'Myddelton Corner. Here stood the house of Sir Hugh Myddelton built 15-- [illegible] Rebuilt 1891 Huntly-Gordon ---[illegible]'. Above that, transomed windows with engaged columns between and low-relief portrait heads in roundels between first and second-floors; a frieze of panels filled with strapwork, figures and heads in roundels runs round the whole building, the centre panel to the oriel having the date 1543 and a portrait head, presumably of Sir Hugh Myddelton; crouching satyrs act as brackets to the fluted cornice. Linked pedimented gables to Upper Street, one large with three round-arched windows and keyed oculus, three smaller with cross windows. The corner oriel is crowned by an open octagon with round arches, balustrade and cornice; the octagon continues but has lost a domed roof topped with a small cupola. Single-pitched and mansard roof.
The shopfront returns for part of the Almeida Street elevation; the first and second floors have two two-window bays of type B, and blank walling between; two small gables.
Herbert Huntly-Gordon had a particular interest in the architectural use of terracotta and a special relationship with the manufacturers Doulton and Company.
Listing NGR: TQ3167284030
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings