This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0196 / 52°1'10"N
Longitude: 0.2876 / 0°17'15"E
OS Eastings: 557064
OS Northings: 238153
OS Grid: TL570381
Mapcode National: GBR MC5.7KB
Mapcode Global: VHHL4.XHWN
Entry Name: Elms Farmhouse
Listing Date: 1 November 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1196253
English Heritage Legacy ID: 370742
Location: Sewards End, Uttlesford, Essex, CB10
Civil Parish: Sewards End
Built-Up Area: Sewards End
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
TL53NE WALDEN ROAD, Sewards End
669-1/4/395 (South side)
House. 1676 or earlier, with later C20 restoration.
Timber-framed and plastered, peg-tiled roof, red brick stack.
Plan L shaped. 2 storeys and attic. Front W elevation: long
3-window range, large articulated square stack towards S end,
doorway directly in front. All windows sliding sashes 4x3
panes, C19 but partly restored in C20. Ground floor N end
window missing. Doorway restored, plain cornice hood and
jambs, 4 panelled door. Wall has C20 basket pargetting. Over
doorway, lozenge relief panel, foliage decorated with corner
bosses, dated 1676. Rear E elevation: similar to front but
with short gabled wing to E and S end. C20 basket pargetting
on principal range. Wing ashlar lined. Windows somewhat
scattered, C20 casements. 2-storey and attic in wing, 2 storey
and gabled dormer in main range. 2 C20 glazed doors one in
each unit. N and S end elevations: similar, each with 2 ground
floor windows 1 and 2 lights, also, 2-light attic casement
window 4x2 panes. Weathering board at tie-beam level.
INTERIOR: framing exposed, 3 celled lobby-entrance system with
chimney bay. Clasped side purlin roof with shallow curved wind
braces. Bladed scarf joints in wall plates. Stack has large
ground floor back-to-back timber-lintelled fireplaces with
thin bricks. First floor, single timber-lintelled fireplace to
chamber over parlour (S end). Stack shaft appears added to
principal one tapered from ground floor. 1676 date on house
may not relate to original build as stack appears earlier C17.
Date may celebrate improvements including addition of single
chamber fireplace and rebuilding of upper stage of stack in
late C17 style.
Listing NGR: TL5706438153
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings