This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0765 / 53°4'35"N
Longitude: -0.8101 / 0°48'36"W
OS Eastings: 479810
OS Northings: 353908
OS Grid: SK798539
Mapcode National: GBR CLN.00Q
Mapcode Global: WHFHH.JXGX
Entry Name: Town Hall
Listing Date: 29 September 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1196430
English Heritage Legacy ID: 385099
Location: Newark, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG24
District: Newark and Sherwood
Civil Parish: Newark
Built-Up Area: Newark-on-Trent
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Newark-upon-Trent with Coddington
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
NEWARK ON TRENT
SK7953NE MARKET PLACE
619-1/8/247 (West side)
29/09/50 Town Hall
Town Hall and former gaol. 1774-6, with late C18 and mid C19
additions. By John Carr of York. Restored 1989-91 by Guy St
John Taylor Associates and James Brotherhood Associates.
Mansfield white sandstone ashlar and brick with slate roof.
Plinth, frieze, dentillated cornice, open balustrade with urns
at the corners. Windows are glazing bar sashes.3 storeys; 7
Projecting 3-bay centre has a giant tetrastyle Doric portico
with balustrade, and pediment containing the Town Arms, topped
with a central figure of Justice renewed c1983. At the angles
of the pediment, pedestals with a lion to left and a unicorn
to right. Within the portico, 3 tall windows, the central one
pedimented and the flanking ones corniced. Above them, 3
smaller windows. Outer first floor windows have cornices and
pseudo-balustrades. Smaller second floor windows have moulded
Rusticated ground floor has round arched openings with
multiple keystones and impost band. In the centre, 3 doorways
with wrought iron grilles and gates. Beyond, single glazing
bar windows and beyond again, single doorways with half-glazed
doors with fanlights.
To left, late C18 addition forming Mayor's Secretary's office.
Red brick with ashlar lintels and slate roof. 4 storeys;
single window range of glazing bar sashes, and a round arched
entry with keystone.
Interior has an outstanding ballroom with paired pilasters and
domed apsidal ends, screened by pairs of giant Corinthian
columns. Coved compartmented ceiling by Kilminster of Derby.
Central enriched marble fireplace on each side wall. Front has
4 doors in decorated surrounds, and rear 2 doors. Rear has
central window with fanlight, flanked by single busts on
Central council chamber has metope and triglyph frieze,
ceiling bosses and door and window architraves with cornices.
Mayor's Parlour and picture room have moulded cornices,
elaborate doorcases and marble and wood fireplaces.
Oval stairwell has dogleg stair with winders and ramped and
scrolled mahogany handrail.
Below the ballroom, an 8 x 3 bay market hall with Doric
arcades and engaged columns in the aisles. Round arched side
openings. On the north side, former gaol, mid C19, brick, with
slate roof. Single storey, with 3 windows and 4 doors, one of
them blocked, all with segmental heads.
The Town hall is descibed as " a fine example of its type and
period" (Pevsner) and is a good example of the work of John
(Buildings of England: N Pevsner, revised E Williamson:
Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 190-192).
Listing NGR: SK7981053908
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings