This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7891 / 50°47'20"N
Longitude: -3.6492 / 3°38'57"W
OS Eastings: 283847
OS Northings: 100135
OS Grid: SS838001
Mapcode National: GBR L9.ZMB0
Mapcode Global: FRA 3770.B4Q
Entry Name: The Limes
Listing Date: 11 October 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197133
English Heritage Legacy ID: 386987
Location: Crediton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Crediton
Built-Up Area: Crediton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Crediton
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS834000 EAST STREET
672-1/6/38 (North side)
11/10/72 The Limes & No 2 The Limes
House, divided into 2, No 2 The Limes to the right. Circa 1700
but possibly incorporating part of a medieval building;
alterations and additions of c.1900. Stone, the front
elevation cement-rendered and blocked out, the rear and sides
roughcast. c.1900 additions in red brick with some
slate-hanging; slate roof; stacks with brick shafts.
Plan: Double-depth main block,2 rooms wide with a central
entrance into a stair hall and rear right service block with
service stair; rear left addition of c.1900 with additional
Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 5-bay front with plain
clasping pilasters, a platband at first floor level and below
the parapet, which ramps up to a panel in the centre bay.
Central C18 timber Tuscan porch to recessed 6-panel front door
with panelled reveals. 5 first and 4 ground floor 12-pane
early C18 sashes with flush frames and moulded architraves.
The return walls have a toothed brick band below the eaves.
The left return (The Limes) has one matching first floor
window and a similar window on the return of the extension,
presumably re-sited from the rear elevation. Round-headed rear
stair window with spoke glazing bars. The circa 1900 rear
addition is roofed at right angles to the main block with an M
roof and bullnose brick corners. The right return of the main
block (No 2, The Limes), has an Edwardian lean-to porch, set
back from the front elevation, re-using a panelled door. The
rear addition is slate-hung to the first floor.
Interior: Mixture of circa 1700, and Victorian and Edwardian
fittings. These include, in No 2 The Limes, 2 bolection
moulded chimney-pieces of circa 1700 on the ground floor, one
re-sited from the first floor, one 2-panel door of circa 1700,
Edwardian wall panelling. Other joinery is Victorian,
including panelled doors. Painted cast iron bath with mahogany
and pine boxing is dated 1903, which may provide the precise
date for the Edwardian phase. First floor re-planned in the
1980s. The Limes includes a good C17 stair with turned
balusters and square newels, introduced or reset circa
1903.Edwardian panelling to the stair hall with one section of
C18 fielded panelling on the first floor. 2-panel c.1700 door
on the ground floor, other joinery Victorian or Edwardian. In
the course of decoration the occupier of The Limes discovered
a moulded stone archway on the left (west) end wall of the
house, towards the front. This rose to approximately ground
floor ceiling level and is said to have had a pointed head.
The wall is slightly thicker than the other external walls of
the house, and is probably medieval. In the garden to the
west, footings have been found.
Mr Richard John King, the editor of Murrays Guide to Devon and
friend of the historian, Froude, lived at The Limes (Pope). An
interesting house in its own right, pre-dating the 1743 fire
of Crediton. The building and its site may be of considerable
(Pope, W.,: Glimpses of the Past in and around Crediton:
Listing NGR: SS8384700135
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings