This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6625 / 51°39'44"N
Longitude: 0.2684 / 0°16'6"E
OS Eastings: 556986
OS Northings: 198402
OS Grid: TQ569984
Mapcode National: GBR WQ.SD6
Mapcode Global: VHHMW.LGRW
Entry Name: Brizes Park, Bell House School
Listing Date: 20 February 1967
Last Amended: 9 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197313
English Heritage Legacy ID: 373718
Location: Kelvedon Hatch, Brentwood, Essex, CM15
Civil Parish: Kelvedon Hatch
Built-Up Area: Kelvedon Hatch
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Kelvedon Hatch St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TQ59NE ONGAR ROAD
723-1/5/440 (West side)
20/02/67 Brizes Park, Bell House School
(Formerly Listed as:
ONGAR ROAD, Kelvedon Hatch
House. C18 said to have been started in 1720, remodelled in
late C18, C19 and C20. Converted to a school in 1981. Red
brick, slate roof. L-plan with service/stable extensions as
rear projecting wings.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys. SW front, 9 bays, 2 simple stuccoed
string courses over ground and first floors, plain parapet.
All windows, real or blind, have gauged brick voussoirs.
Central 3 bays section articulates forwards with a pediment
with lunate depressed arch above the parapet. Ground floor
with central porch, Tuscan, tetrastyle with flat head.
Doorway, semicircular, 'cobweb' fan-light and 6-panelled door.
4 windows each side, C20 restored, sashes with glazing bars,
3x4 panes. First floor, central niche with stuccoed key stone
and 4 windows each side as before. Second storey - blind
central window, 4 windows each side, each sash with glazing
bars, 3x2 panes. SE side elevation, 3 fold division. Central
part articulated forward with full height arched recess
containing large tripartite sash windows with glazing bars on
each floor. Ground-floor window flat headed, 1x4, 3x4, 1x4
panes, first floor, segment headed, 1x4, 3x4, 1x4 panes,
second floor lunate 'Diocletian' window, 1x2, 3x4, 1x2 panes.
To SW end (towards front of house) 2 bays, all windows blind.
NE end, ground and first-floor windows sashes with glazing
bars, 3x4 panes, second floor, 3x2 panes. NW side elevation 6
bays, 3 fold division, centre section articulated forward.
Plain sash windows with glazing bars. Ground and first floors
3x4 panes, 2nd floor 3x2 panes. First and second floor windows
SW end blind. Set back service/stable wings have 2 blind
arcades with stuccoed key stones and impost blocks presented
to the SW front and hipped roofs. S wing C20, flat tiles, N
INTERIOR: entrance hall with bucrania frieze and Venetian
triple arch with coupled columns leading to staircase of
imperial type. Stair lit by window with semicircular head,
painted glass and hunting figures in C17 costume, said to be
imported c1880. Several rooms have late C18 style fireplaces
and friezes. The house was bought in 1949 by Hon. Simon Rodney
who did much to restore the house to its Georgian appearance.
It was frequently visited by Sir Winston Churchill.
The stable block and garden wall (qv) form a group with Brizes
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Essex: 1965-: 256).
Listing NGR: TQ5698698402
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings