This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.869 / 50°52'8"N
Longitude: -2.964 / 2°57'50"W
OS Eastings: 332262
OS Northings: 108165
OS Grid: ST322081
Mapcode National: GBR M7.TDXF
Mapcode Global: FRA 46PS.TB6
Entry Name: Chard Manor Farmhouse
Listing Date: 24 March 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197429
English Heritage Legacy ID: 374035
Location: Chard Town, South Somerset, Somerset, TA20
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Chard Town
Built-Up Area: Chard
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: Chard St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
ST3308 CHURCH STREET
756-1/4/8 (West side)
24/03/50 Chard Manor Farmhouse
Farmhouse, now residential home. C15/early C16; completely
remodelled and extended, c1740. Painted render with Ham Hill
stone dressings and slate roof with brick stacks. Single-depth
through-passage 3-unit plan with central open hall extended to
4-unit 2-storey plan in mid C18. C20 outshut to rear.
2 storeys, 7-window range. 6-panel door under 3rd window from
left with pediment on brackets. Moulded stone cornice and
copings to parapet and gable ends. All windows are 6/6-pane
sashes with thick glazing bars and forward frames.
INTERIOR: room to left has axial stopped-chamfer beam and
large brick inglenook fireplace with oak lintel to back left
corner; small cupboard with drawer below set into rear wall.
Entrance hall has open-well, open-string staircase with carved
brackets and turned balusters supporting swept and wreathed
mahogany rail. Square landing has 1740 box-cornice, which,
with the ceiling, is enriched with later-C18 Rococco
plasterwork. Round-arched window in rear wall on half-landing
with raised-and-fielded panelling to reveals. Room to right of
hall has raised-and-fielded panelling, stone fireplace,
semi-circular alcove and a door in the back wall; low ceiling
with wooden cornice and deep-set windows with
raised-and-fielded panelled shutters and window seats. Room to
far right is fully panelled with fireplace on end wall. This
has a dentilled mantel shelf with egg-and-dart ornaments; the
surround itself has rich Baroque ornament. Former late
medieval 3-bay open hall has moulded (ogee and hollow)
surround to ground-floor fireplace on rear wall and 2
arch-braced collar trusses with trenched purlins; feet of
principal rafters (possibly jointed crucks) have been
truncated; 2-bay service end with similar truss to left,
(west), and ground-floor beam. First-floor rooms are plain.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURE: C19 cottage, set back and attached to left
with rear extension. Render on rubble, double-pitch pantile
roof. 2 storeys, one-window range. Connected inside to main
house, totally altered c1970.
Listing NGR: ST3225908163
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings