This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3509 / 50°21'3"N
Longitude: -3.5784 / 3°34'42"W
OS Eastings: 287801
OS Northings: 51302
OS Grid: SX878513
Mapcode National: GBR QS.RB8Q
Mapcode Global: FRA 38D3.MQ7
Entry Name: 2, Fairfax Place
Listing Date: 8 October 1980
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197520
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387235
Location: Dartmouth, South Hams, Devon, TQ6
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Dartmouth
Built-Up Area: Dartmouth
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Dartmouth Townstal
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX874510 FAIRFAX PLACE
673-1/8/113 (West side)
Shop with domestic accommodation above. Dated 1880, built for
RC Cranford. Mixed construction; stone, brick and
timber-framing, slate roof with pierced crested ridge tiles.
Panelled chimneyshafts of red and yellow brick over slate-hung
bases to axial and rear gable end stacks.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and attic; symmetrical 3-bay front flanked
each side by stone party walls with moulded limestone corbels.
Very elaborate timber-framed, jettied and gabled front. To
first-floor left, a datestone carved 1620 and 1880. House
doorway to left, 4-panel door with overlight. Good, largely
original, timber shop front has ovolo-moulded glazing bars,
original blind and central recessed doorway containing a
bottom-panelled glazed door. Fascia above is carved "CHYMIST"
and enriched with swags. The chemist's symbol, the phoenix, is
included in the leaded glass above the shop door. Floors above
are jettied with shaped joist ends projecting through moulded
timber cornices. First floor has central 3-light oriel flanked
by 2-light mullion-and-transom windows. The remaining panels
are decorated with Jacobean-style pargetting. The centre panel
at second-floor level is a massive pargetted panel
representing the Borough seal. Either side are 2-light windows
and above are a pair of windows with a shelf for flowerpots in
front enclosed by a low balustrade of ornamental ironwork. The
rest of the front is hung with ornamental slates in 2 colours.
Plain bargeboards to the gable surmounted by an elaborate
INTERIOR: Contains original joinery and plaster including some
of the chemist's shelving in the shop.
Nos 1-3 Fairfax Place were built together with a unified
symmetrical frontage in a lavishly-decorated Tudor style.
Listing NGR: SX8779851303
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings